Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit card/score 597

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit card/score 597

Hi i just turned 21.  I have been trying to get a credit card for the past year with no luck.  i found out i had an outstanding $70 medical bill that went into collections so i paid the bill off in Nov. 2011.   I tried getting a secured credit card thru TD bank and it was denied.  I also tried having a friend with excellent credit co-sign for me and that too was denied.  

Can someone direct me where I can apply with a score UNDER 600.  

Also, how long does it take for the outstanding collections bill to come off my credit report (its still shows)

Ive heard that repeated credit card applications that get denied will affect my score negatively so im hesitant to apply again without some reassurance that I'll be approved.  

Thanks for any advise.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: credit card/score 597

Capital One is a great place to begin with a low credit score.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi i just turned 21.  I have been trying to get a credit card for the past year with no luck.  i found out i had an outstanding $70 medical bill that went into collections so i paid the bill off in Nov. 2011.   I tried getting a secured credit card thru TD bank and it was denied.  I also tried having a friend with excellent credit co-sign for me and that too was denied.  

Can someone direct me where I can apply with a score UNDER 600.  

Also, how long does it take for the outstanding collections bill to come off my credit report (its still shows)

Ive heard that repeated credit card applications that get denied will affect my score negatively so im hesitant to apply again without some reassurance that I'll be approved.  

Thanks for any advise.

www.capitalone.com. Good Luck ")

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orchard Bank.
Message 3 of 5
esme
Regular Contributor

Have you tried sending GW letters to the collection agency yet? I've been able to get 3 out of 5 medical collections removed just by sending the CEO an email explaining my situation and asking for an extrension of GW. It doesn't hurt to try.

Try doing a search here for the name of the CA that is reporting. Chances are, someone here will have a good contact you can use.

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@esme wrote:

Have you tried sending GW letters to the collection agency yet? I've been able to get 3 out of 5 medical collections removed just by sending the CEO an email explaining my situation and asking for an extrension of GW. It doesn't hurt to try.

Try doing a search here for the name of the CA that is reporting. Chances are, someone here will have a good contact you can use.

Ditto. For the OP, focus on the baddies first. Repair then rebuild. Once repair is complete, then aim for a CC. I personally would recommend a secured CC to start. Getting that first CC is tough. Once the first reports, then it gets easier. A secured CC will give you the flexibility to create your own limit, it'll limit the inquiries, and many secured CCs are easy to get. After you establish credit in a year or two, then you can always cancel and get your money back.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.