Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards for low scores

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit cards for low scores

My current scores which were calculated at 18% util are tu-564 ex-516 eq-573. I paid off my cards to 1% and am waiting on the updated score but I want a third card to boost. I now have opensky and first progress. do you think I could get approved for an unsecured credit card, should I wait, or get a third secured card? I have a cap one co that falls off ex 4/2016 but has been removed from the others.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ddemari
Super Contributor

Re: credit cards for low scores

I definitely think you can get approved for CreditOne and FingerHut. Both sites have a prequalifer. My friend has really bad credit, FICOS in the 470s and im helping her rebuild. Both sites had prequals for her, she did take the CreditOne because she needs something and has only negatives on her credit reports. 

Do I think both of those cards are worth taking, only if you really need a card to show positive payment history. Strictly rebuilding cards, take em for what they are. But, use them for a year and pay them and PIF each month. In a year you could be in a different position. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well let's give you straight answers because that's what you're looking for.

Stay away from Credit One Bank. Yes they'll undoubtedly approve but ultimately Credit One Bank is a Bad Credit bank which feeds off of people with bad credit, giving their card holders outrageous fees. Secondly you want to stay away from them because like I previously mentioned Credit One Bank is a Bad Credit Bank. With that being said after you build up your credit strong enough for other cards you will detach yourself from Credit One Bank and when you detach yourself from Credit One you will also be detaching your credit history that you built with them on your credit report. So you might as well build credit with a card that you don't mind leaving in your wallet after you've built stronger credit.

With your credit score I would recommend applying for a secured credit card. Applying for unsecured and getting denied is doing nothing for you but lowering your credit score by racking up credit inquiries on your credit profile. The first card I am going to recommend is the Bank of America secured credit card. I am offering them because the BOA secured credit card has the ability to graduate into a unsecured credit card and that's a big bonus. If you are not approved for the BOA secured credit card then I recommend you apply for Capital One's secured MasterCard which as of right now has no annual fee which is very great for a secured card. The only draw down to Cap One's secured MasterCard is that the card doesn't graduate to a unsecured card. Don't believe any story told to you about this card, it does not graduate period. But your score doesn't take applying for a unsecured card off the table. You might qualify for a Capital One Quick Silver One card. I would probably try to apply for that card first but if denied then I would apply for the secured card.

Anyway Those two cards report to all the major credit bureaus and have minimal fees. Those cards will help you gain a better position to having a unsecured credit card & you want mind allowing those cards to still be in your wallet after your credit has become stronger which means you will keep the credit history that you've built up because you want be canceling the card. Capital One credit card also gives you a credit score monthly for free. Neither credit card reports to the credit bureaus that the cards are secured credit cards so that's once again a major plus.

Shortcuts...

Let's talk about shortcuts, you can become a authorized user on a friend or families credit card and this will instantly boost your credit score when the card reports to the credit bureaus. From there you can apply for a unsecured card determining on how high your credit score jumps. Since you do have a collection on your credit report I would recommend Capital One Quick Silver One unsecured card. This card is good for those who have a collection or two on their report but still have an acceptable credit score. Until you remove or that collection falls off I highly doubt any other bank will give you a unsecured credit card even with being a authorised user.

Who do you need to make you a authorised user?

I would look for people with high credit card limits & that has had their credit cards for more then 4 years. The higher the credit limit the better, the older the credit card the better. Important, make sure the person whom card you are becoming a authorised user on doesn't have high utilization for that card. Meaning make sure they're not using to much of the cards availible credit.

This way you adopt that card holders credit history for 4+ years & you adopt their high credit limit. It will show on your credit profile as if they were your cards. From there your credit score will increase and I would apply for a unsecured card(s).  The person making you a authorised user may let you be a authorised user for a month two months indefinitely, it's really up to them but after you receive your new cards that you applied for Its best to build up your credit without them so in my opinion I would have them remove me as a authorised user and try to continue building my credit with cards I was just approved for using this method.

Most people try to become a authorised user but the person that's allowing this to happen has to trust you. They must trust that you want go and spend up credit in their name. This is why it's really hard to do this method.

Example: If I have a $15k AMEX and I make you a authorised user but don't give you a card technically you can still call AMEX and order a card and run up $15k worth of debt in my AMEX account & leave me with the debt. So there has to be a lot of trust with this method.

Goodluck...

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you so much desolatedata! I appreciate the time you spent on that response. unfortunately I don't know anyone with good credit but I will hopefully be able to make use of an au in the future.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Give Capital One a try. Reputable company that has a history of giving credit to rebuilders. Did so for my wife and I and countless other members of these forums.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

*sings if I could turn back time*

Secured BoA.  It graduates.

Secured Citi.  Foot in the door.

Quicksilver 1. It's unsecured.

Secured Cap1. It reports unsecured.

OpenSky. No credit check. 

My personal favorites.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
thank you so much desolatedata! I appreciate the time you spent on that response. unfortunately I don't know anyone with good credit but I will hopefully be able to make use of an au in the future.

To reiterate what desolatedata said - AVOID CREDIT ONE. Not only are they a "bad credit bank" that preys on people with bad credit, they are wholly ownd by Sherman Capital, a very large Junk Debt Buyer, aka Collection Agency. They go by various names, LVNV being one of the more well known and notorious ones. They ruin peoples credit with their left hand then extend them credit at predatory terms with the right. In short, they ARE the enemy. Do not do business with them, period.

Capital One is where you should apply, I wholeheartedly concur with that.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

okay thank you all! I applied for Cap One secured because I was too nervous to apply for unsecured yet. I was approved for $99 for $200 cl. how much should I add onto this card? my total limit for my two other cards is $1,400. I am able to add any amount to the card, but I also probably want to close it after a year when I can get approved for unsecured cards. Is it better to add $99, $499, or $1899? or somewhere in between?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, just add what you can afford for now without draining any savings. Rebuilding is a slow process, and by slow, it is ultra slow in the beginning lol.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
okay thank you all! I applied for Cap One secured because I was too nervous to apply for unsecured yet. I was approved for $99 for $200 cl. how much should I add onto this card? my total limit for my two other cards is $1,400. I am able to add any amount to the card, but I also probably want to close it after a year when I can get approved for unsecured cards. Is it better to add $99, $499, or $1899? or somewhere in between?

Just do the minimum, no sense in tying up money that could be better used elsewhere. Wait until the account shows on your reports and if you get a score bump from it, app for the unsecured Platinum Card.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.