Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit cards

tag
Rico23
Established Member

credit cards

Would opening a second major credit card hurt my credit?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: credit cards

It would lower your credit score because of the new trade line and inquiry(s) in the short term. But it would help long term if you are approved. But getting denied if your credit is borderline will hurt and the inquiry affects your Fico score for a year. It stays on your credit report 2 years.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 6
Rico23
Established Member

What would be considered borderline?
Message 3 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Anytime you add debt to your credit profile, your scores will take a hit. How much of a hit depends on what the rest of your profile looks like.

Message 4 of 6
Rico23
Established Member

The reason I was asking was because the first credit card i got actually made my score go up with both the inquiry and the new revolving account.
Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If you didn't have any revolving accounts before, you might see a boost by adding the account.  Gives you a mix and revolving accounts are graded high.  Now if you already have revolving accounts, you might see aninitial drop due to the INQ and the decreasing of the AAoA.  Don't get discouraged, it's a necessary evil.  I know it stinks, but so does manure and you put it on the flowers to make them grow.  You need accounts to let your score grow too.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.