Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit control corp just screwed my life up. Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit control corp just screwed my life up. Help

First I wanna say hey to everyone just joined and this is my first post. Now i checked my CR a few days ago and my credit score droped overall from high 600's not to middle 500's. It's all due to a past due account from suddenlink. Now heres the situation. I cancelled my internet months ago and i have moved since then. They call telling me i owe xxx amount of money after the fact. I tell them I already cancelled and i havent lived there for months. I didnt have my cancel confirmation number so to them i still owed them. I said screw them and i never paid. Now fast forward to where i am now.  I called Credit control corp and offer a pfd. Of course i get the " WE dont do that" as i expected. I have no problem paying for this I just want it off my CR. I cant believe how bad it dropped it.  Also if i never recieved a letter or call from credit control is that in any way a violation of FCRA or FDCPA? Someone PLEASE assist me with this matter. I'm in the military and having bad credit will screw up my life.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Re: credit control corp just screwed my life up. Help

First off, welcome to the board - Youve come to the right place! Smiley Happy

I am by FAR not as skilled as others here, but i understand where you are coming from...

Have you by chance tried calling suddenlink and asking them information for why it was not canceled? I had the same thing happen to me by the electric company and it ended up being someone put notes in, but never closed the account....

In addition if you resolve it with them,, then they should remove it?

I would wait for another more seasoned member to respond but i hear you! 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for understanding. unfortunately its apparently my fault for not saving my cancel confirmation number.

Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto...call the OC.

I'd fire off a DV to the CA.

IMO, it wouldn't be a violation of the FDCPA to not receive a dunning letter (double negative) because the CA likely sent it to your old address as opposed to your new one. There's nothing in the FCRA that requires an OC/CA to give you notice before reporting.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

DV?

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Happy   These should help:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 6 of 7
notmyj
Regular Contributor

Dont feel embarrassed about the collection. Expect everyone here to understand where you are as most if not all of us in this forum have been there, or are there. Any time you feel discouraged, just read some of the success stories and you will be motivated to go at it again. Dont be afraid to take as far as it goes. I had to file complaints against Asset Acceptance with two Attorneys General and the BBB to get them to delete an account without paying them a dime on an $1100 debt. It can be done, its just not easy nor quick.

BK7 Filed 6/4/18
341 7/13/18
SCORES
7/19/18 Pre Discharge TU 8 572 EX 8 566
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.