Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit debt and management

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit debt and management

Hey 

i need some help on what i should do first i have a debt and want to know how should i go about it im tryna apply for a mortgage

Victoria secret store credit card     $128 the limit $500

chase     $3000 the limit $4600

american express    $500 the limit $2000

navy $6000   the limit   $14600

meijers store   $350   the limit $1080

2015 eqinox note $399   i got 3 year lease got in january 2015 and i owe 7 payments owe about $2900 in payments

i get 1600 back in student loan that i have to pay back in a few years

i owe $40000 in student loans i pay $117 a month

i have a navy fed account and about to get a penfed account 

thinking about applying 

my credit score 640 650 645 fico

100% on time payment

i make 1400-1700 every 2 weeks

what should i do as far as payment?

i know everything should at least be under 30%

10 REPLIES 10
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: credit debt and management

For optimal scoring it's actually all but 1 card reporting a zero balance with the last card reporting less than 9% of that cards limit.
Message 2 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

I would use the snowball technique. Pay off the smaller balances then work towards getting Chase below 49% I think you'll see a decent bump in scores after that.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding your Credit - re: credit debt and management

My comments are based upon this post being under "Rebuilding your Credit"

* and a previous post of your's which stated you had a Fico in the 700's

brittbratt2 wrote:

Hey 

i need some help on what i should do first i have a debt and want to know how should i go about it im tryna apply for a mortgage

Victoria secret store credit card     $128 the limit $500

meijers store   $350   the limit $1080

2015 eqinox note $399   i got 3 year lease got in january 2015 and i owe 7 payments owe about $2900 in payments

i get 1600 back in student loan that i have to pay back in a few years

i owe $40000 in student loans i pay $117 a month

i have a navy fed account and about to get a penfed account 

thinking about applying 

my credit score 640 650 645 fico

100% on time payment

i make 1400-1700 every 2 weeks

what should i do as far as payment?

i know everything should at least be under 30%

Consider "Eliminating" the low hanging fruit, and only use if you can immediately Pay in Full as if it was a debit card.

* I have identified the three above.

Then get the Chase card to Zero, and always Pay in Full immediately.

Finally, get the NAVY to below 10% and keep it there.

* it is your largest credit line, and <10% will be easier to accomplish there and to maintain for the time being based upon your existing information that you disclosed..

* * * I am absolutely sure that there will be other contrasting opinions, but  this is what my choices would be.

To include, never again showing a utilization on cards, except for one at < 10%, which will ultimately put you in a better position to get a mortgage.

Best Wishes!!!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding your Credit - re: credit debt and management

pay my balances down on the first 3 cards and apply for a credit increase for chase once im under 15%....so should i get or apply for a penfed credit card? or then start paying on the navy fed card

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

brittbratt2 wrote:

pay my balances down on the first 3 cards and apply for a credit increase for chase once im under 15%....so should i get or apply for a penfed credit card? or then start paying on the navy fed card

+ I am sticking with my comments BELOW,   first  &  foremost.

ONLY once you have achieved this, and it is reflective in your Fico 8's, should you consider a PenFed CC.

I am with Pen Fed, and they were my first cc application simply because they do not like of Credit Pyramid Builders.

Once you have cleaned up everything, In My Opinion, would I suggest you consider Pen Fed.

* there are lots of things I want.  However, I will not take any action until it first fits nicely with in my existing plan.  They are Wants, not Needs.

Also see:

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pentagon-Federal-Credit-Union-Data-Share/m-...

Consider "Eliminating" the low hanging fruit, and only use if you can immediately Pay in Full as if it was a debit card.

* it is your largest credit line, and <10% will be easier to accomplish there and to maintain for the time being based upon your existing information that you disclosed..

* * * I am absolutely sure that there will be other contrasting opinions, but  this is what my choices would be.

To include, never again showing a utilization on cards, except for one at < 10%, which will ultimately put you in a better position to get a mortgage.

Best Wishes!!!

Message 6 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you're wanting to apply for a mortgage, I would hold off on the new cc apps

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

brittbratt2 wrote:

+ I am sticking with my comments BELOW,   first  &  foremost.

ONLY once you have achieved this, and it is reflective in your Fico 8's, should you consider a PenFed CC.

I am with Pen Fed, and they were my first cc application simply because they do not like of Credit Pyramid Builders.

Once you have cleaned up everything, In My Opinion, would I suggest you consider Pen Fed.

* there are lots of things I want.  However, I will not take any action until it first fits nicely with in my existing plan.  They are Wants, not Needs.

Also see:

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Pentagon-Federal-Credit-Union-Data-Share/m-p/4591561

Best Wishes!!!

+ 1

I totally agree...YOU have to look at the big picture here..If a HOUSE is your ultimate goal then IMHO please follow the advice, if your goal is to have higher CLs or more CC then by all means do so...it's totally up to you.!!

I can speak from experience Mortgage companies DO NOT like a app spree anytime within 6-12 mos of applying and they frown on alot of inquiries too.

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

whatever that link is it keeps popping up blank on my computer screen is it possible to quote it or tag me in it... and also can I do want to have higher credit limits and just one more credit card thru pen fed I read that even if I have a credit card like navy fed woith 14000 limit pen fed could approve me for 5000 and I could request them to match my highest limit
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

ReCon-ing Pen Fed for a higher CLI

* Yes, it is possible to Recon for a higher CLI with Pen Fed, I actually did it when I applied for my 2nd credit card, and was approved.  However,

brittbratt2 wrote:
whatever that link is it keeps popping up blank on my computer screen is it possible to quote it or tag me in it... and also can I do want to have higher credit limits and just one more credit card thru pen fed I read that even if I have a credit card like navy fed woith 14000 limit pen fed could approve me for 5000 and I could request them to match my highest limit

When I did a recon w/ Pen Fed, I asked without comparing to Navy, as they had my data in front of them.

First you have to become a member of Pen Fed, and then apply & get approved for a credit card.

In my previous post, I mentioned that your balances do need to be reduced, and your Utilization is high.

It is only "MY" opinion, but I am not sure you would get approved by Pen Fed with:

Best Wishes!!!!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.