Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dealing with settlement letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

dealing with settlement letter

I received a settlement offer from a collection agency for two verizon TLs listed in the 'accounts' section of my report.  The CA calling to offer settlement is not yet showing up on any of my reports, and the unpaid balance is showing on my reports under the OC - so the OC still owns the debt.  The debt is within SOL and I have the ability to PIF (which may help my util).

My question is:  would you settle with the CA?  PIF the OC?  I want to avoid having the CA report as well. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: dealing with settlement letter

Keep in mind the the federal SOL is 2 years from DOFD. This does not mean that they can not report.

I would first call the OC and offer to PFD.    If they will accept then have them mail you a letter stating that they will delete and pull it from the CA.

If they refuse then mail a PFD to the OC at the addy listed on your CR.

Mail the CA a DV  CMRRR now.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: dealing with settlement letter

I did call the OC to see if I could PFD, but they wouldn't do it.

So you would DV the CA, even though they aren't reporting?  I was thinking that by paying the OC, I could prevent them from reporting as well - is that not the case?

ETA:  I didn't even realize there was a federal SOL for telecomm.  I thought my state's 6-yr SOL applied.  So, this is outside SOL.  Thanks for that info!

Message Edited by helplessintn on 07-07-2009 11:20 AM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.