Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debt over 7 years old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

debt over 7 years old

I have searched the forum and I feel like it's information overload so forgive me if this has been asked repeatedly.

I've been working hard at cleaning up my credit.  I've gone from 480 to 620 over the last year.  I have a few more things that are keeping the score from going up.  One that I would love help on is a collection from 2007 that the 7 year mark has come and gone.  It is still on my credit because the CA has the open date as 2011.  Where do I even begin to start?

Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: debt over 7 years old

The Open date reported by the debt collector is irrelevant, and is not the date used by the CRA to detemine when it must be excluded from your credit report.

The Open date is only the date that the debt collector received collection authority.

Credit report exclusion is based on the DOFD n the OC account, and occurs no later than 7 years plus 180 days from that date.

The DOFD was required to have been reported to the CRA within 90 days after the reporting of their collection.

It is of record in your credit file, even though it may not be explicitly provided in your credit report.

You need the reported DOFD.  If it is more than 7 years plus 180 days ago, then you have basis for contesting any contnued showing in your credit report.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The originial date is the beginning of 2007, it was a former daycare center we used for my daughter so I know the date.  It's for a week that went past my contract that they wanted me to pay.  At the time I just let it hit my credit but now that I've turned things around and getting ready to buy a house it still shows up. 

Do I contact the CA for the info they have or go to the OC for info they provided?  I have my records at home in a file. 

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The reported DOFD should be shown in credit reports you obtain from annualcreditreport.com, or that you receive directly from the CRAs.

If those efforts dont provide you the reported DOFD, you can request it directly from the CRA under the provisions of FCRA 609(a)(1) upon payment to the CRA of their processing fee, which is currently $11.00.

Once you have that reported date, you can dispute its accuracy if you disagree.

As long as less than 7 years plus 180 days has expired from that date, your dispute over continued showing in your credit report would be with the debt collector, not the CRA,

Message 4 of 5
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Since you are confident of the date, 2007 + 8 = 2015, so you are definitely past the 7 yrs 180 days.  I would dispute as obsolete.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.