Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debt validated, now what..

tag
SeanAndrews
Regular Contributor

debt validated, now what..

Got contacted by a CA about a legit debt ($4400), sent them the DV letter to which they replied factually. What is the next step for someone who cannot afford a settlement or PIF, but wants to take others advice on here and not fall into the trap of talking to them on the phone? Should I just start sending in  "decent" payments ($150 a month in my view), and hope they take them without filing suit? What would one normallu do here?

thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: debt validated, now what..

What is the DOFD?  Is this within or beyond SOL?

If you can afford to pay $150/month, then you can settle.  A settlement can be made for an agreed amount, with installment payments.  If this is beyond SOL, then you have the most leverage without fear of being sued.

If the original debt is $4400, they  may accept 50% with payments.  That would be $2400.  If you paid $200 per month, that is settled in 12 months.  Sometimes you can actually get a PFD agreement with installments, though much more rare.

Be sure to do it all in writing.  Make the offer in writing.  Get a signed, returned agreement.  Make sure each check is limited endorsed to indicate the payment toward the agreement.

Once you get the CA paid, you can work on GW with the OC.

If this is beyond SOL, you have more options than if still within SOL...because of the possibility of suit, judgment and garnished wages, potentially (depending on your state laws).

The down side to payments on CA is that the CA will update (most likely) the account on your CR each month as your payments get applied, which means the CA is updated each month keeping it "new" as far as FICO is concerned.  Until they stop updating the status, it doesn't age in the eyes of FICO.  Paid or unpaid won't affect FICO....but will matter to LO review often times, and once settled you eliminate potential for suit.

IMO Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 02-15-2010 10:40 AM
Message 2 of 3
SeanAndrews
Regular Contributor

Re: debt validated, now what..

Yes it is definitely within SOL, pretty new. (I don't even think a debt as high as $4400 would get to the point of SOL, would it? What creditor in their right mind wouldnt sue if they got nowhere within a year? )

Thanks for the advice, I will try it.I assume I should at least try the PFD in the offer letter, and see what happens.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.