Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

debt validation letter sample

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

debt validation letter sample

I received a letter from a debt collector offering a settlement on an outstanding judgment. I want to dispute the debt but am looking for a sample debt validation letter to use. Any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: debt validation letter sample

A standard DV to a debt collector need only say:

I request validation of the debt under FDCPA 809(a).

You can add on a few sentences if you want to make it clear that you want an itemized listing of the current debt, and if you also want to know the name of the orginal creditor, such as:

I request that you verify the amount of the debt by providing an itemized listing.

I additionally request that your provide the name and address of the original creditor for the alleged debt.

The requrements for response to a DV are fixed by statute, so there really is no need to include other, lenghty provisions.  Those are the essentials.

You additionally state that the debt under collections also has a judgement associated with it.  Since the court has ruled on your debt obligation, what specifically are you now attempting to dispute?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, maybe I am going at this the wrong way. The DC says they now represent the creditor and they offer a settlement at a reduced % of the what they say is the outstanding balance. They note unless I dispute the debt in writing they will assume it is valid. Since the amount they use to calculate outstanding owed is wrong and I don't know for sure they are really now representing the creditor, I thought it best to have them validate the debt to temporarily stop the process. Please advise and thanks in advance
Message 3 of 4
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well, maybe I am going at this the wrong way. The DC says they now represent the creditor and they offer a settlement at a reduced % of the what they say is the outstanding balance. They note unless I dispute the debt in writing they will assume it is valid. Since the amount they use to calculate outstanding owed is wrong and I don't know for sure they are really now representing the creditor, I thought it best to have them validate the debt to temporarily stop the process. Please advise and thanks in advance

What you added to this thread should do nothing to change the advice that Robert provided. You should send them a very simple DV as he mentioned.

Keep in mind, depending on how long, or how many times this debt has been sold or resold, that amount could be different than the original OC balance...

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.