cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

defaulted on students loans, no other debt. working hard to repair my credit but it seems stuck.

tag
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: defaulted on students loans, no other debt. working hard to repair my credit but it seems stuck.

Yes, if we could only go back in time and talk to our younger self. Alas, we can't. But perhaps anyone you know at the time of applying for college and loans you can relate your experience. 

When my husband and I filed BK 17 years, I wish I had started on a rebuild. We threw in the towel thinking we were not worthy to apply for anything. Here I am in my mid 50's, and 3 mos ago on my rebuild, you can see my start score, and 3 mos later the increase. I had collections, I have rid  2 of them, I have one left on 2 bureaus, they were medical. I had 2 cards to my name, a subprime $300 ($99 yr annual fee) mastercard and a low limit Amazon. I had a crappy utilization, not at max, but at least 50%. I brought them down, score went up, I learn from the pros here, how to ask for an increased line of credit soft pull from Amazon, it worked. As two collections fell, I was approved for a Cap One and a Discover. I waited till I felt I had a 95% of being approved. I hope to once again own a home. It killed me losing my first and only home after paying on it for 12 years due to illness. Maybe I'm too old for a mortgage at my age, but by he** I can dream, and I will try. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: defaulted on students loans, no other debt. working hard to repair my credit but it seems stuck.

Student loans repayments are a mystery so I put my trust in to the very people I owe money to? My dumb mistake. I still can't get a solid answer to anything when it comes to repayment options--not from my servicer, my guarantor, DOE, or the Student Aid reps.

I wish I had advice that could help you. I am learning that improving my FICO score is not enough. My scores have improved 130 pts since BK discharge in Feb. Like you, I have no collections, no recent "lates" for almost 3 years, 3 forms of revolving credit at 6% util., positive payment history reporting since Feb., my opened student loans have no negatives, but still receive $300 credit offers and unable to get a Discover card where I see others have it with decent limits already.

You could try to send a complaint about the "collection methods for defaulted loans" with the Student gov site. Explain how you went into default, how you've tried to fix it, and still be affected by the late payment reporting. Where it asks "what you think is a fair resolution...." ...you can say to update (remove) the late payments that is damaging your credit score. ??? 

I feel your pain. I really do. The exact same thing happened to me with my student loans 2 years ago. I also ignored my credit for the last 10 years as my husband was the one working and paying the bills. In my case, I had moved across country and changed addresses right around the time the final default warnings were sent. There was a typo on my email address the lender had on file. So I didn't know I was in default until 1 year later when my tax refunds were offset.

I explained this and asked the lender to repurchase my loans and do a forbearance to bring my loans out of default--of course they denied it. 

In 2014 I was told by ECMC's phone rep that "all" my student loans had defaulted and that after completing loan rehabilitation ALL my loans would be back in "good standing." I wasn't offered the IBR option until 2015. Literally 3 days after I receive the "completion" letter, my $4,000 tax refund was offset. ECMC had all except (2) of my student loans which were also in default since 2013.

I had no reason to doubt the man. He IS hired, trained, and staring at my loan list in front of him, right?! Who knew omitting one single word, "ALL," could have saved me thousands of dollars and wasted time. I am still kicking myself today that during the 9 months in repayment I didn't log in to NSLDS to ee all my loans. 

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

a bit of an update. So after spending a year working on my score, paying off old collections and getting them removed, getting my student loans into good status, etc., my score was up to about 660 from 530.  Then suddenly my score took a big hit, and I couldnt figure out why. The info on my reports was very hard to find. Eventually, I figured out that one of my two student loans had gone into default a year or so ago. I had started a rehabilitation program and forgotten about it. Apparently I never sent in the paperwork that made the program official. I changed my card number due to a lost card and the automatic payments (Which were very small) stopped, and my loan went back into default. GREAT. Well, after a long and confusing process, I finally found the current servicer, a collection company, and started the rehab program over again today. I'm really frustrated because I paid down all this old medical debt and my score is lower than it was in the first place due to my error despite trying to fix it. so irritating. 

I want this fixed. I'm on the verge of moving back to a major city where I can make real money, living in a sh*tbox apt in nowheresville, and eating nothing but rice and beans for 3 years so I can pay these f*cking things off and move on with my life. 

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

wierd timing. right after I posted that, I got an update that a dispute I started about late payments on my student loans was decided in my favor and the late payments got removed, my score jumped 50 points. woot!

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.