Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dfas debt collection HELP !!!!

tag
CarHaulerInvester

dfas debt collection HELP !!!!

greetings everyone

Im tereal, i seperated from the military Oct 1 12,  since then DFAS tell me i owe them $8000.00 so i didnt know i owed them till feburay after checking my credit report, since then ive set up payements to be made 223.16 monthly for 3 years for total payoff. My credit report shows this as a collection, is there a way i can request that they change this into a revoling credit to show somthing better on my report to i can get a home loan?

Please help

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: dfas debt collection HELP !!!!

Not if its a collection.  Is it with a CA?

And how do you not know you owe $8000?  Is it not yours?

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 2 of 6
CarHaulerInvester

they over paid me upon my departure from the service  then it went to a CA because i was unaware, i asked DFAS who does the reporting to the CRs they said they do , has any one had any experiece from DFAS changing the status of a debt before it it paid off

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Who are you in a payment plan with, DFAS or the CA.

If it is a collection it is a collection and DFAS can't change that. 

Message 4 of 6
cplmercy
Established Member

It's a Goverment Colllection for overpayment when you were discharged and PCS'ed home for travel claimes and or you were discharged and before you left you had initiated a FLIPL so that you could clear. Either way there is nothing that can be done really until the GOV is satisfied. You could contact DFAS in Indianapolis and see if there is a way to change the status of their reporting. Good Luck!

Start (FACOS) EQ-631/EX-544/TU-583 AUG 13
(MYFICO) EQ-720/EX-728/TU-695 JUN 14
(FACOS) EQ-701/EX-744/TU-755 JUN 14
Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I have found DFAS to be very accomodating when it comes to collections, etc.  The issue would be if they still own the account or sold it to the CA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.