cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

discover settlement july 05, should i gw?

tag
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

discover settlement july 05, should i gw?

settled with discover in july of 2005, after going 120 days late..

30 days late 1 time (Feb 2005)
60 days late 1 time (Mar 2005)
90+ days late 2 times (May 2005, Apr 2005)

at this point, would gw'ing them really help that much? i do have several other accounts i'm trying to gw as well, all went delinquent pretty much the same time (summer 2005 when i was laid off and not working for 7+ months)...
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: discover settlement july 05, should i gw?

yes, I gw'd them and they deleted my account
Message 2 of 9
Donks3369
Established Contributor

OSU,

Do you remember what address you sent the GW letter to?  Thanks.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

it was listed on my CRA reports.

Discover
PO BOX 15316
Wilmington, DE 19850
Message 4 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

yes, but my reason for asking is this (my bad in not stating this in the original post): i opened the account in 2000, and didn't have a single late payment until i went 120+ days late in 2005...is gw'ing this off going to hurt me more than it will help?
Message 5 of 9
crackers8199
Regular Contributor

also, do i sign a gw letter (if i end up sending one)? i know i've read that you should not sign dv letters to CAs, but should i sign a GW letter to the OC (or to a CA for that matter)?
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any other lates on your report-

if yes- how late and when

crackers8199 wrote:
yes, but my reason for asking is this (my bad in not stating this in the original post): i opened the account in 2000, and didn't have a single late payment until i went 120+ days late in 2005...is gw'ing this off going to hurt me more than it will help?

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crackers8199 wrote:
also, do i sign a gw letter (if i end up sending one)? i know i've read that you should not sign dv letters to CAs, but should i sign a GW letter to the OC (or to a CA for that matter)?

I don't remember if I signed the discover gw or not. My lates were old as well. It hurt two of my scores and helped one. I believe in the long run it will ultimately help my scores as it is now a cleaner report. I have no regrets about them deleting.
Message 8 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Besides the overall payment history, you should also consider the age of the account. If it is older than your avg. age, then you could lose points if your avg. age drops.

Timothy wrote:
Do you have any other lates on your report-

if yes- how late and when

crackers8199 wrote:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.