Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dispute letters

tag
pkenn
Regular Contributor

dispute letters

sent out a few dispute letters and got answers back ststing they could not find any accounts with the information provided. now they want me to send my ss#  etc. any thoughts on this??

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
IMPROVELIFE
New Contributor

Re: dispute letters

Hi Pkenn,

I am fairly new to myfico but I have read a few posts in regards to your inquiry.  If the CA/OC is requesting you to send them your personal information DO NOT send it to them.  If you provided them with the account number in your letters, that should be sufficient enough. Just thought I put my 2 cents in  Smiley Happy  Some of the guru's can give you more information as to what your next move should be.    Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 570
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
pkenn
Regular Contributor

thats interesting...so what do i do in reply to their letter, and if they cant find it, how do i go about getting it removed...help gurus!!

Message 3 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

What are you disputing and who did you send the disputes to? The OC or a CA?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 6
pkenn
Regular Contributor

i was disputing a cc acount that was charged off. i disputed it with the OC. thay said they need "additional" info like my ss# etc. how do i answer?

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you filed a dispute of accuracy of information in your CR,  and provided them enough information, such as your name and the account number that THEY reported to the CRA, that is rock solid ID of the account under which the information is being reported by them, and now disputed by you.  They reported it, so they can identify it.  They are NOT entitled to require additional personal information in order to consider the dispute. Requst for SSN is inappropriate.  It smells of their lack of ability to verify, so they are just trying to make you think that they can shift the burden of dispute resolution back to you.  That is BS.  That is their problem, not yours.  Dont give them more than what is required to match your dispute with their inaccurate reporting to you credit file.  Your account number.

Did you dispute through the CRA, under FCRA 611(a), or was it a direct dispute with them under FCRA 623(a)(8)?

If your dispute was filed directly with the OC, I would send them this letter:

"I filed a notice of credit reporting dispute with you on (date).  In that dispute, I identified myself, and the information being disputed.   I identified the number of my account with you, and thus provided sufficient detail for identification of the information being disputed.  FCRA 623(a)(8), and 16 CFR 660.4.

" You have now requested that I provide to you certain items of personal information that are NOT requried under the FCRA dispute process.  I respectfully decline your request.

"I have no obligation to provide additional, personal information to you beyond that needed to identify myself, the account that is subject to the dispute, and the specific information under that account that is being disputed.

"The date of my initial notice of dispute to you remains as the 30-day date  that sets your requriement to complete your investigation,  and then report the results of your investigation back to me within 5 days thereaftr.   Your recent request for further disclosure of additional personal information not mandated under the FCRA dispute process simply  has no relevancy to your legal invesitigation and reporting requriements.

“Should you be unable to verify the accuracy or completeness of the disputed information wothin your 30-day investigation period,, then you are additionally required, under FCRA 623(b)(1)(E), to promptly notify the credit reporting agencies of deletion of this information from my credit file.”

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.