cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disputing 30 day late auto loan payment-advice please

tag
1hardinquiry

disputing 30 day late auto loan payment-advice please

On my TU report through MyFico, I have a late payment showing from 11/2010 on my car loan. I recall way back to that time, I sent my payment on time, but the mail service had interrupted the arrival of the check to the bank. I remember trying to get it straightened out, but they offered to have me sign up for auto pay every month for a $75 charge, and I declined. I don't think they were even saying, "we'll remove the late fee is you sign up for auto payment", just offering it.

Is there a way to dispute the 30 day late from my bank for my auto loan way back in 11/2010 with no documentation that it was a mail delivery issue? I'd like to dispute it and have it removed to see a possible bump in score. Plus that's really my only BAD thing that could be giving me a lower score, except for my AaoA...Just almost 2 years.

How do I best go about a dispute for something like that? It shows on my TU but not on my freecreditreport.com EX report-not sure if that's because that version of my EX is not the REAL one, it only shows the last 24 months of payment history...while TU shows all payments and status.

I also have the contact info for the bank, but wanted to make sure I couldn't just dispute it online with TU?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Mondavi
Regular Contributor

Re: disputing 30 day late auto loan payment-advice please

You could always try to contact them. If it was two years ago and made all your payments on time since they may take it off. Try a GW letter to them explaining what happened and that you were happy with them as a company and would like to do future business.

Also if you have not went and got your free credit reports from annual credit report I would do that. Least that way you would have report numbers so you could dispute with the CRA's that way.

I still think your best route would try a GW letter to the company.

Normally after two years a 30 day late is not going to have a huge impact on your credit scores. Your lack of credit history could be a factor. One other thing is what if your Utilization on your credit cards if you have any.......

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  I don't see the dispute process being the best plan of action for this one.  I believe a GW to the OC might be your best first step.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

So the delay in their receipt was more than 30 days past the actually billing due date?

Not all lates are reportable to a consumer's credit file.  Run of the mill lates where payment is received after the due date but within 30 days thereafter are not reportable 30-lates. 

What are the specific dates?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.