Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

disputing with bureaus

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

disputing with bureaus

I am wanting to dispute some issues with my credit reports but i worry it may drop my score if it is verified. Is this possible?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: disputing with bureaus

@Anonymous wrote:
I am wanting to dispute some issues with my credit reports but i worry it may drop my score if it is verified. Is this possible?

Mine never did.

If it was already there on your CR, I don't see how it could.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

My reasons for wanting to be so careful is that my mortgage broker told me that around july i should qualify for a mortgage. I just need my accounts to be at least 12understand months old. July they will be 12 months old. So if i can get these things removed i could bring my score a little higher and get a better interest rate. The accounts i am wanting to disbute are about 2 to 3 years old and are paid off....i am just worried if i dispute with bureaus and it is verified that it could hurt my score. Is it possible and should i worry?
Message 3 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Depends on what is being disputed. Disputes only impact OC accounts as the balance, CL, and payment history are removed from scoring for as long as the dispute comment shows. This can cause the score to go up or down, depending on the TL and how that TL reports.

Post-dispute, disputing OCs or CAs can cause your score to fluctuate in some situations. Sometimes the baddie will update with added lates. Sometimes the DOLA or date reported can update and that can cause problems (mainly TU). Sometimes they can decide to report to all 3 when they only reported to 1 or 2.  Finally, you might find a situation whereby an older CO deletes or a late dispute on an otherwise good, old account which could result in a deletion, both scenarios of which can cause a score drop if the account is older.

Message 4 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
My reasons for wanting to be so careful is that my mortgage broker told me that around july i should qualify for a mortgage. I just need my accounts to be at least 12understand months old. July they will be 12 months old. So if i can get these things removed i could bring my score a little higher and get a better interest rate. The accounts i am wanting to disbute are about 2 to 3 years old and are paid off....i am just worried if i dispute with bureaus and it is verified that it could hurt my score. Is it possible and should i worry?

Certainly it is OK to dispute if inaccurate, and be sure to provide info backing the claim, but, IMO, try working directly with the OC/CA/PR/whatever first. And give yourself beyond July if need be.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

These are 2you to 3you year old collection acconts that have been paid off 2 or 3years
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about the weird posts. I am on my phone and it sometimes adds words and i figure out how to shut this feature off. Anyhow i will give more then july, i just do not want to hurt my credit between now and july because my mortgage broker told me that around july i should qualify for a mortgage.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks joey, i hope it wont hurt mine. I would like to try but i am just unsure. The worst that could happen is they verify the account. Their is no payment history. I just worry that when they verify the account (if they do) that it could tank my score
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok i have done some reading and maybe someone can correct me if i am wrong. From what i have read, disputing a old, paid off collection can be bad because it will renew the "date of last activity" this would drop score.
If this is true then maybe i need to do as another poster state qnd write the ca directly and hope they will delete since its paid. Which i doubt. These people are pure evil.
Sometimes maybe its better to let sleeping dogs sleep
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.