cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does a home equity loan effect credit score differently than revolving debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

does a home equity loan effect credit score differently than revolving debt?

I have $15k in credit card debt. I owe $98k on my house worth $240k at 7.5%( approximatly 20years remaining). I want to refinance for a better rate and possibly up my fico currently 680. If i did a cash out refi for $115k and paid off the cards, would my credit score go up due to my debt/debt available? Any money saved in lowering my payment would still be paid as additional premium. Thanks.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: does a home equity loan effect credit score differently than revolving debt?

Unfortunately most HELOCs are scored as revolving accounts. AQdding a HELOC could slightly improve your score because of the added CL, but transferring your CC debt to the HELOC won't eliminate the revolving debt. How it is reported depends on the limit and the CRA. I don't recall the specifics, but if I recall correctly (and someone correct me) but I think anything less than $50k gets reported as a revolving acct.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: does a home equity loan effect credit score differently than revolving debt?

Thanks for the info but what if i refinanced for 115k and took 15k in cash and paid off the cc?
Message 3 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Then you'd be OK I suppose. You may have a new TL reporting if you went with a different lender, but your score will recover fairly quickly. The balance of your mortgage really doesn't matter either.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

One of the undisclosed pitfalls of the consumer credit field for homeowners is that Experian treats 30 year fixed rate home equity loans as "installment debt", not as "real estate debt".

If the data from the lender does not have the term "mortgage" in the account name, Experian treats all indebtedness requiring fixed monthly payment as installment debt.

If this seems like treating parking tickets received on Saturdays as third degree felonies, join the club.

Indebtedness categorized as installment debt is fine with lenders, as long as it is a small portion of a person's gross family income.   As this is the type of lending used to finance consumption ( if not impulse ) purchases such as cars, large screen televisions, hot tubs, boats, and other rapidly depreciating assets, only a fool or spendthrift will allow his total indebtedness in the subtotal of "installment debt" to rise beyond a small portion of his gross family income.

If by an illogical and arbitrary process, the credit bureau adds the amount of your long term fixed rate home equity loan to those actual installment purchases your made, you get an enormous number which should shock any rational credit officer.

There is absolutely no disclosure of this arbitrary and illogical categorization decision by credit bureau Experian.    Therefore if you have an unblemished history of making every one of your payments on time and have prudent and conservative purchasing habits, yet are treated as a virtual leper by those in the credit field, perhaps your home equity loan is the root cause of your misery.

If you feel that making of public policy by a credit bureau is inappropriate, you might let regulators ( FTC and CFPB ) know of your feelings.  Edited will send a typed letter or email to your public officials gratis to convey your thoughts.   You can now feek empowered to deal with this nonsense.

Edited to remove a political link - llecs, myFICO moderator

Message 5 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

One of the undisclosed pitfalls of the consumer credit field for homeowners is that Experian treats 30 year fixed rate home equity loans as "installment debt", not as "real estate debt".

Thankfully, FICO (and lenders) treat mortgage loans and other installment debt virtually the same. Even if Experian made the switch, assuming that is the case, your score wouldn't change any.

In the OP's post above, there was a question about HELOCs which differ from mortgage loans. And as an update from my 2 yr old post, newer FICO versions treat them as a loan as opposed to a revolving TL.

Message 6 of 7
today

I have a 95K home equite line of credit that is showing revolving type credit on transunion and equifax making it look like I have almost 100K in revolving debt.  Is this expected and is there anything I can do about it?  This is through USBank and was taken out in April of 2008 but today January 2012 is being reporting as revolving and the top reason for my 657 credit rating listed on the analysis. I would like to refinance my first mortgage and need a higher credit score asap.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.