Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does hippa process work on medical

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

does hippa process work on medical

ok got 2 more medical collections to get removed,one from 2013,one from 2011,ive called both original creditors they wont pull from debit collectors if i pay ,they just tell collectors its paid which does no good,called collections they wont do a pay for delete even sent a pay in full for delete and they didnt reply,so my question is if i write the hippa letter with full payment to original creditor and dispute the collections it will come off the credit report.one bill is 260.00 other 752.oo got 7 navient late student loans that i rehabbed but the late come off for awhile but come back so gona see if i pay these last 2 deragotory collections will it get my score high enough to buy a house first of the year,now fico 8 is average 635 average,just got unsecured credit card so hat will help plus the default status on the navient lates should come off soon

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: does hippa process work on medical

While the details of the so-called HIPAA process are not subject for discussion on this forum, in general terms, the process is an interpretation of the HIPAA statute, and is not supported by any express provision within that statute or by any case law.

The interpretation is basically that any permissible purpose for retention of any information pertaining to a medical debt is removed once the debt is paid, thus mandating the deletion of a medical collection from CRA files.  Advocates have spread that interpretation for years, and yet have never obtained case law that concurs with their interpretation.

Whether or not it "works" depends ultimattely upon whether the debt collector chooses to voluntarily delete, not upon its recognized status as binding statutory or case law.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.