Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double reporting of mortgage?

tag
Journey
Regular Contributor

double reporting of mortgage?

Hi everyone!

I have been helped tremendously by this board, and now I have a question for my mom.

She refinanced her mortgage, and now the original holder, Wells Fargo, has not removed the first one.

This, as you can imagine, is tanking her credit score and is so clearly inaccurate. AND MAKES NO SENSE TO ME....

Yet, she cannot seem to get anyone at WF to resolve it. She has talked to several people at WF and sent several letters, and the response is always that they will take care of it... yet they never do... shocking.   Smiley Wink

Does anyone have any ideas? Should she dispute with the three credit bureaus?

Should she send a certified letter to WF? if so, which letter would work best?

Help?!?!

thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: double reporting of mortgage?

WF doesn't have to remove it from her CR, only show paid and closed/transferred.

Message 2 of 8
Journey
Regular Contributor

Hmmm... should have been more careful with my words.

Closed, paid in full, transferred... that's what I meant. Of course I know they do not have to remove it.  Smiley Happy

Right now, it still shows open with the balance remaining that was transferred in the refi, making her reports look as though she owes two mortgages in high dollar amounts to two different banks...

Any ideas?

Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Why do you say it is tanking her score? Is it showing two mortgages open at the same time? As guiness said it's proper to show the older account paid and closed. In fact you want closed accounts in good standing to remain because it adds to your AAoA and credit length history.

ETA: You answered my questions before I could type them out.   Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
6/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 4 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If WF isn't helping you I would be wary to dispute it with the CRAs.  It may just come back as verified.

Write the head person in WF mortgage department and explain what is going on.  Let them know it needs to be take care of ASAP. 

Message 5 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

How long ago was the refi?

Message 6 of 8
Journey
Regular Contributor

The refi was 2 years ago... so it is a bit ridiculous that everytime she talks to them, they promise to fix it and never do....

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I would write a strong letter to the CEO.  Tell them it has been 2 years and it is hurting her credit.  You want it fixed now.

You may also file a complaint with the BBB and the FTC.  It might not hurt to also file one with her state AG office.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.