Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplicate accounts on reports?

tag
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

duplicate accounts on reports?

I have 2 items (well, technicall 4) that appear to be reporting twice on my reports & I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this.

One is a loan from Roadloans where I has several lates in 2008.  While these are accurate, it's also true that Roadloans sold this account to Santander in 2008 or 2009 and I have this on my reports as well (I defaulted on the loan in late 2009).  Can this be listed twice like this?  It's the same loan, it was just sold.

Also, I have an old account with Credit One bank that I got behind on (again in 2009) and this was sold to Midland.  I recently paid Midland this amount so that it would be marked as paid.  However, the original account is there as well as the Midland one.  Can they both be listed at the same time?

I'm sure this has been answered before I'm just not sure how I can approach this.  Do I request to have one removed by goodwill or maybe dispute one of each with the bureaus?

Thanks for the help!

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: duplicate accounts on reports?

@joeyoey wrote:

I have 2 items (well, technicall 4) that appear to be reporting twice on my reports & I was hoping someone could give me some advice on this.

One is a loan from Roadloans where I has several lates in 2008.  While these are accurate, it's also true that Roadloans sold this account to Santander in 2008 or 2009 and I have this on my reports as well (I defaulted on the loan in late 2009).  Can this be listed twice like this? I would dispute the Roadloans as duplicate of the Santander.  It's the same loan, it was just sold.

Also, I have an old account with Credit One bank that I got behind on (again in 2009) and this was sold to Midland.  I recently paid Midland this amount so that it would be marked as paid.  However, the original account is there as well as the Midland one.  Can they both be listed at the same time? Yes, and the OC has to show 0 balance if it was sold to Midland. GW letters on these to try and get removed.

I'm sure this has been answered before I'm just not sure how I can approach this.  Do I request to have one removed by goodwill or maybe dispute one of each with the bureaus?

Thanks for the help!

Message 2 of 3
joeyoey
Frequent Contributor

Re: duplicate accounts on reports?

So, I finally heard back from Equifax today (I ended up having to call) and they're saying this original loan from Roadloans.com is legit because they have to show my entire "history".  I don't understand this. The Roadloans account & Santanfer account both show the same open date, same amount, even the same address.  Each one is listed negatively (& only on Equifax).  I don't dispute the account is mine, I just don't understand why they would list the same account twice, which is (I assume) dinging my score twice instead of just once.

Does anyone have any other advice or suggestions on what to do (other than contacting Santander/Roadloans)?  

On the other issue I was finally able to convince Credit One to delete themselves.  Now I'm working on Midland hoping they might do the same.  The original creditor is gone & Midland has been paid so I'm crossing my fingers.

Starting Score (02/01/2014): EQ 548 EX 548 TU 564
Current/Most Recent FICO Score (4/01/2015): EQ 686 EX 668 TU 669
Nov 1, 2015 Goal: 700 Across all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

test

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.