Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

effectuate collection of an indebtedness

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

effectuate collection of an indebtedness

I got a letter from a CA today that included the following phrase:  "This correspondence is an attempt to effectuate collection of an indebtedness and any information obtained will be used for that purpose."

Silly me,  I thought they were trying to collect a debt.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: effectuate collection of an indebtedness

Maybe you can pay them from the inheritance I am getting from a Nigerian Prince. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 5
katecrime
New Contributor

that's really funny!!

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@katecrime wrote:

that's really funny!!

It would be funnier if it probably wasn't going to cost me $500+.  Somehow this medical bill surfaces from an ER visit over 2 years ago.  I had the CA DV it, and the resulting cover letter contained the "effectuate" phrase.  If I understand the bill correctly, my medical insurance covered something like half the costs, and then there's this bill for the other half.  I'm pretty sure this is the first I've ever heard of it.  Or maybe I saw a bill years ago and assumed it was an insurance mistake.  I pay a heck of a lot for medical insurance and the biggest bill I've gotten in years they only cover half?  It was my one and only experience with kidney stones.  (TMI, I know.)  I had no idea it would hurt all over again 2 years later.

This isn't actually on my credit report, but I'm wondering if I can actually pay the original hospital and if I in fact owe that much.  Grr.

Message 4 of 5
leah5570
Frequent Contributor

I would call the hospital as soon as possible. Tell them you don't recall getting a letter from them regarding a bill recently that would show it was going to collections, you thought insurance had already covered it and you haven't heard anything otherwise in almost 2 years. Plead your case, the OC is always better than a CA.

EQ. Starting Score 08/19/12: 545
EQ. Current Score 09/02/13: 611
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

The effects of waking a sleeping giant...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.