Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

experian authenticating police report

tag
learningstage
Established Member

experian authenticating police report

I have had several issues with identity theft i later filed a complaint with the cfpb and my response from experian has been that they fail to authenticate the police report???? should i send the email where the police report was sent to me or the phone number to the police station???

in addition equifax has stated that they refuse to block any information but will not give any type of valid reason after providing all of the necessary information ... kinda stuck here i am doing everything i am supposed to do according to the fcra and even using external sources to help me but im being stonewalled ... please help

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: experian authenticating police report

I went through the same thing.

Had to back track and do a second round and file the police reports with the FTC, the Post Office and the IRS identity theft Affidavit. Then I sent it all to the original creditors, collection agencies and then the bureaus again.

Good Luck
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: experian authenticating police report

It kinda sounds like they want authentication of your identity as opposed to authentication of your police report.

FCRA 605B, which defines the requirments for blocking information from your credit report, stipulates that the CRA must block teh information if the consumer provided

1. appropriate proof of the identity of the consumer

2. a copy of an identity theft (police) report

3. an identification of such information by the consumer; and

4.  a statement by the consumer that the information is not information relating to any transaction by the  consmer.

At least one CRA wants an FTC fraud affidavit as the statement specified in item 4.

If their problem was lack of compliance with item 2 rather than item 1, did you send them an actual copy of the police report itself, and if so, did the police report clearly identity the same information that is asserted to be the result of identity theft?

Kinda unclear as to why the cioy of the police report is not considered authentic?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.