feeling kind of defeated by BofA :(

tag
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

feeling kind of defeated by BofA :(

So, here's my stats:

30 day late - capone - jan 2011 

30, 60, 90 day lates - bank of america - jan-march 2011

I was able to get capital one to agree to taking off my 30 day late which will be done within 30 days they say. BUT the only way I got this approved was because I was paying for the payment protection at the time of the late payment and I did not know about it. Thankfully I looked at my statements and realized this!

As far as bank of america goes, I have sent a secured message, called a couple times, and emailed the CEO! All had the same response, unless it is their fault that the lates are on my report than they cannot delete it. When I emailed the CEO, I got a call the next day from his secretary. She was super nice, but informed me that under the blah blah law they cannot remove the lates unless it was an error. This seems like the same thing capital one told me as well.

I feel like unless there is a valid error that the lates were reported, they will never be deleted. Even after reading through some of the posts here. Most of the people have some kind of something happen to their report by the bank and that is most likely why they agree to delete the lates.

Should I just give up? I might send them a letter now and see how that goes. Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
retroAction
Contributor

Re: feeling kind of defeated by BofA :(

The thing about goodwill is that it is typically extended by an individual, not a company. BoA does have a history as a company to decline all goodwill requests but that does not mean successful GW updates don't happen, it just takes the right person. My take on it is to just keep trying, eventually the right person will read the letter and help you out.

Also, make it as easy on the CSR as possible, be concise and ask for what you are wanting directly. If the account is still open with a balance, don't expect them to be willing to delete the trade line completely so ask directly to have a goodwill update to that specific month. Always include a phone number because someone who would be willing to help is much more likely to call you and tell you themselves, if they have to have to draft a letter they will probably just throw you in with the typical response lot and move on with their day. It is our tendency when communicating about an important subject matter, such as our credit, to keep our correspondence dry and professional. I have found that you are much more likely to connect with the person reading the letter if you actually briefly say who you are, and how the action that the CSR has the opportunity to take would actually affect your life, such as allowing you to provide safe transportation for your wife and your new baby. Just something tangible.

Don't give up, its goodwill so all they can do is say no and all you are out is a few minutes of your time and a stamp. As others have said, don't send a GW letter CMRRR, they might think you are a nutcase. Just drop a note in snail mail when you have a few minutes and eventually it just might workout. I have a GW letter in with BoA as well for a 30 day late in 2008 and I am hoping to have success with it.

Good luck!

Current Score: EQ Fico 651 (5/22/2012)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
My Credit Rebuild Project Log
Message 2 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

BoA really doesn't delete often. Generally, people who have had success were talking about accounts nearly 6 years old or a one-time late corrected as a courtesy.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Familywantsahouse
Frequent Contributor

If at first you don't succeed...

My husband was laughing yesterday because I sent out 11 Cap1 GW's to 11 different addresses and got 9 "rejections" in the mail yesterday. I've already sent out the second round to another 11 addresses. In their letter some of them reference, as per your previous inquiry..."blab blah blah"

Yeah, I'm still going to send you letters once a week for the next 6 months til it falls off, so feel free to delete it early or keep getting mail from me Smiley Happy

2/24 (Lender Pull) EQ 613, TU 553, EX 589
April EQ 633, My Fico TU 638, EX ??
Current EQ 643, TU 652, EX 633 (lender pull 5/11)
Goal (we made it!!)- Over 640 middle by 5/15
Message 4 of 6
orl22
New Contributor

I've been with BOA since 93, on my EQ account, it shows 1 late from May 2011. I actually have more lates but for some reason aren't reported. I've asked them to remove the one late being reported but they won't remove it. I'm preparing another GW anyway. But I'm wondering if I should just leave it alone. They might just feel incline to report the other lates that they didn't report. But I don't think they are that mean to do something like that.
Message 5 of 6
Lambo23
Frequent Contributor

@retroAction wrote:

The thing about goodwill is that it is typically extended by an individual, not a company. BoA does have a history as a company to decline all goodwill requests but that does not mean successful GW updates don't happen, it just takes the right person. My take on it is to just keep trying, eventually the right person will read the letter and help you out.

Also, make it as easy on the CSR as possible, be concise and ask for what you are wanting directly. If the account is still open with a balance, don't expect them to be willing to delete the trade line completely so ask directly to have a goodwill update to that specific month. Always include a phone number because someone who would be willing to help is much more likely to call you and tell you themselves, if they have to have to draft a letter they will probably just throw you in with the typical response lot and move on with their day. It is our tendency when communicating about an important subject matter, such as our credit, to keep our correspondence dry and professional. I have found that you are much more likely to connect with the person reading the letter if you actually briefly say who you are, and how the action that the CSR has the opportunity to take would actually affect your life, such as allowing you to provide safe transportation for your wife and your new baby. Just something tangible.

Don't give up, its goodwill so all they can do is say no and all you are out is a few minutes of your time and a stamp. As others have said, don't send a GW letter CMRRR, they might think you are a nutcase. Just drop a note in snail mail when you have a few minutes and eventually it just might workout. I have a GW letter in with BoA as well for a 30 day late in 2008 and I am hoping to have success with it.

Good luck!

Thank you for this info. I have a question, my reasons for wanting removal of the lates was because I had lost my job at the time for 6 months and was unable to pay. I have since been making payments to the card and paid it off completely in feb 2012. I also added that I'm in need of an auto loan and the lates are really hurting my report. This does not seem to be working even though it is 100% the truth. To be honest, at the time of the late payments, I thought that if I did not pay the minimum, they would just take it out of my deposit (secured card, $300 deposit) and/or they would take my full deposit. I had no idea about credit reports and reporting late payments. Smiley Sad Should I add that into my letter as well? 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.