Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first GW attempt failed

tag
oohhjamila
Valued Member

first GW attempt failed

I kinda want to cry Smiley Sad. Ok so I attempted my first GW via phonecall to HSBC. I was connected to customer service. I jotted down a few notes for talking points and I had my account information with me. I was so excited. I have 2 closed accounts with them, both closed since May and June '05 "settled for less than the full amount". Both have 2-30day, 4-60day and 2-90+. I was very polite to the rep (even though I could barely understand her foreign accent) and asked if the account could be deleted. She said that the account will be reported as is for the full 7 years. I then asked if at least the lates could be removed and I don't think she understood because she started saying that there is not a balance so my payment isn't late. gRrr. I told her that I was trying to clean up my credit and would appreciate if she could help or direct me to someone who could. She apologized and said there was nothing that she could do. I let her know that I've heard of goodwill adjustments being made, but I don't think she knew what I was talking about. She just gave me contact information for a different department in HSBC.

Credit Bureau Verification

P.O Box 5253

Carol Stream, IL 60197

fax# (605) 782-6041

I'm so disappointed. I thanked her for her time and ended the call. I called back via a number listed on the backdoor thread and the rep transferred me right back to customer care so I just hung up. I was being lazy trying to get out of writing the GW letter, but I am definitely going to do just that. Any advice? Is it being greedy to ask for the accounts to be deleted? If just the lates are removed, does the flag go away?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: first GW attempt failed

Keep at it. You don't have to win every battle to win the war. Keep sending, faxing, e-mailing, and calling them. Do it over and over and over and over and over and over again until you get a "yes". All it takes is one.
Message 2 of 23
toa700
Valued Member

Don't give up I have a current account with HSBC credit card services, I called customer service to and got the same answer, I called to have them revise two 30 day lates. They told me the same thing NO! I emailed a GW letter to customer service and got a reply back NO!...but they did credit my account two $30.00 late fees.......I am going to keep sending GW's. I have had a few collection accounts removed. THANKS myFICO.....Where have you been all my life!!! I did not know how bad paying late affected your score!!!!!

FICO's

9/25/08 TU:482  EQ:558  EX:498  

Message 3 of 23
cfletch123
Established Member

I sent a GW letter to HSBC as well and I haven't had any luck. I will keep at it until I get a yes.
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im not real fond of HSBC's customer service myself.

#1 Why don't they have an 800 # like everyone else in the world. I use my cell phone to call them so it really doesn't make a difference but seriously...... get an 800#

#2 I called to ask them to remove a $29 late fee that I recieved after I had made 3 payments that "calander" month but due to statement dates I was still late (because magically the next month my "statement date" must have changed because I did the same thing and my credits didnt go backwards that time!)

Any hoo after a 30 min conversation with a gentleman who kept arguing with me because he couldn't understand what I was saying... I finally got it credited back to me but it took 3 full months for the credit to appear where as it only took them 10 days to stick it on there in the first place.

OY!

They must have HORRIBLE turn over rates or something because if you ask them a question that isn't on their script they get so confused.

"Hello Mr. Cap1 CSR. I would like to have a late fee removed from my statement. I believe I wasn't late"

"Ok AmyBoo I can help you with that, it appears that you were late and it can not be removed but would you be interested in purchasing our credit monitoring plan?"

"No Mr. CSR I would not like to buy your credit monitoring plan. May I speak with your supervisor?"

"Ms AmyBoo I would be glad to help you with whatever you need what did you need to speak to a Sup about?"

"Well Mr. CSR I want the late fee removed because I wasn't late"

"Ok AmyBoo I can help you with that, I can see that your Credit is very important to you would you be interested in purchasing our credit monitoring service?"

"NO DADGUMMIT I DO NOT WANT YOUR CREDIT MONITORING SERVICE I WANT TO TALK TO YOUR SUPERVISOR"

"Ms AmyBoo I would be glad to help you with whatever you need what did you need to speak to a Sup about?"

This literally went on for half an hour... I was ready to cry by the time I got of the phone.

But I got that stinkin late fee off!

Message Edited by AmyBoo on 10-19-2008 12:16 PM
Message Edited by AmyBoo on 10-19-2008 12:17 PM
Message 5 of 23
oohhjamila
Valued Member

aww! i feel for you Amyboo. it's like talking to a robot.

update: i finished editing and tailoring my first batch of GW letters for HSBC, GEMB/JCP, DSRM/Valero, and Lane Bryant. They all say pretty much the same thing. The only other one is CapOne but i'm not going to touch that as it is my oldest account. Anyway, should I CMRRR or snail mail? These are going out first thing in the morning.

Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Always snail mail for GW ... if you go certified you just look like a looney toon!
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Toa700, keep trying.  I called Citgo to have one 30day removed (one in 48 months) and I was told they dont do that. Smiley Sad I asked for a supervisor and I was told the credit department handles that.  I was transferred and once again told no we can't do that. So I wrote them a GO letter the next day. Actually, I sent 3 out and I am hoping they agree. Will keep you posted.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

that was a GW letter.. llolol

Message 9 of 23
oohhjamila
Valued Member

I mailed off my GW letters today! yay! I'm excited. I don't remember who it was but someone told me not to ask for deletion of the old accounts, because it would hurt my "age"...but I asked for it anyway. I asked if the lates could be removed or just delete the whole account altogether. I just don't think that's a bad thing. The GW's went to accounts that were open for less than a year (04-05) and I just want to forget about those. However, I did not GW CapOne because it is my oldest account ('03). Does account aging or whatever it's called, start with the very first account...or any account since the first was opened?
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.