Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

first best step for DH to rebuild

tag
bubbles0605
Regular Contributor

first best step for DH to rebuild

First off, we are TRYING to get a mortgage by june 2017 if possible.  Dh has alot of baddies including, electric bill from 4 yrs ago in collection, a repo from 5 yrs ago with Santander and a bunch of medical small ones.  questions: do we leave the big ones alone (i.e. electric and repo) or try and pay them off before mortgage app? I cant seem to get him credit anywhere (scores are in siggy), not even the cap 1 100 dollar rebuilder card. (which I got 2 months ago for me). Is there anywhere to app that he MIGHT be eligible? what would be your first step? Thank you all so much, this board has been a blessing

Starting Exp-545, TU-531,EQ-515
DH starting Exp-503,TU-486,EQ-470
short term goal: mine-600, DH-550
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: first best step for DH to rebuild

Is there anyone willing to add him (and you) as an AU for a few months to jump start his credit?   Preferably a card with some age to it and low Utilization and good payment history.   If so that could boost hi up to where he can get his own cards.  After the new cards report he can be removed.   Most mortgage lenders would require no AU accounts.   As for the collections talk to the lender you plan on using and find out their requirements, maybe take a copy of your reports so they can see what going on.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you tried secured card options for your DH?  If you can't get a secured card with CO a local bank or credit union should be able to help you.  So lenders will require outstanding debts to be satisfied before a mortgage from what I've read.    

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

My advice is settle the ones that are updating monthly first so they can begin to age in the eyes of Fico. Only contact a creditor that is still inside states SOL if you are capable of paying or settling.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 5
bubbles0605
Regular Contributor

Thank you everyone! Yesterday he was approved for cap 1 secured. I will have hime start with the baddies that are still reporting

Starting Exp-545, TU-531,EQ-515
DH starting Exp-503,TU-486,EQ-470
short term goal: mine-600, DH-550
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.