Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

for quick boost pay ALL cards to 0$ and leave auto loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

for quick boost pay ALL cards to 0$ and leave auto loan

my equifax score is 612 and myfico is 588 which is so confusing especially when my TU is 688?!?! Looking to get preapproved in the next 30 days last month my cards reporting as carryong high balances i have a 2 month old HSBC discover limit $400 and the reported balance was $323 last month, capital one limit $750 balance reported $640, AU on another cap one limit $500 balance $380 and then another AU on a chase balance $523 limit $700 but i just removed myself from that one. Car lease loan balance $6200 and limit is $9000 so what do i do pay my cards to 0 and just leave car loan or pay the 1 capital one and leave the discover and car loan? along with this and getting a collection from last year deleted will i see a big increase by chance???? Thanks!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: for quick boost pay ALL cards to 0$ and leave auto loan

@Anonymous wrote:

my equifax score is 612 and myfico is 588 which is so confusing especially when my TU is 688?!?! Looking to get preapproved in the next 30 days last month my cards reporting as carryong high balances i have a 2 month old HSBC discover limit $400 and the reported balance was $323 last month, capital one limit $750 balance reported $640, AU on another cap one limit $500 balance $380 and then another AU on a chase balance $523 limit $700 but i just removed myself from that one. Car lease loan balance $6200 and limit is $9000 so what do i do pay my cards to 0 and just leave car loan or pay the 1 capital one and leave the discover and car loan? along with this and getting a collection from last year deleted will i see a big increase by chance???? Thanks!!!!!!!

HI there.

It depends on where you are buying your scores. The EQ score from here is accurate. If you bought your TU score here it is accurate although it's an older version (TU98). You can't buy a TU FICO score anywhere else as far as I know. You can buy an EQ FICO score from the EQ website but you have to be very careful. EQ also sells their own "Equifax Credit Score" but this is not a FICO score.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/

As far as managing utilization everyone's situation is different and there is no one size fits all approach to this but what seems to work well for most people is to have only one of their cards report a small (<9% of it's credit limit) balance each month and then pay in full before the due date. You can use it as much as you want during the month but what's important is the reported balance because for most cards whatever is reported on the monthly statement is what is used to calculate utilization for the month.

You might have to play around with the percentages for a few months to see what works best for you. Some people say that 1-3% utilization helps the most. For others it might be 5-9%. As I said it's not one size fits all.

On any other cards always try and have them report a zero balance each month. That doesn't mean you can't use them just make sure that the desired zero balance on these accounts is achieved several days before their statements post.

Along with individual and overall utilization, FICO also scores the number of all types of accounts reporting a balance.at any one time Making sure less than half of all your accounts report a balance helps most people.

Now this approach really isn't necessary if you're not looking to apply for any credit in the near future or unless you are trying to tweak your score for maximum effect but some folks do this as a hobby just to see how high they can get their score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, Thank you for you reply, I really appreciate you responding! Anyway see this is where I am very,very confused... I went to this product you recommended the FICO EQ score 'Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/' and it says I already have this product :/ turns out I do and this is the score showing at 612 and on here I'm getting 588! So the question is which one will the lender see?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also is it true that paying down an auto loan does little, if anything to your score?

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Does the 612 have the word "FICO" next to it? If so, it's a FICO. If it says "Equifax Credit Score", then it isn't a FICO. If both are FICOs and for the score difference, then consider sources of error like time pulled between myFICO and via the FICO product at Equifax.com. Scores can change daily.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also is it true that paying down an auto loan does little, if anything to your score?

IME, no. You'll only see a score movement if the auto loan is your only installment. If you have others, then paying one to $0 won't do anything at all per FICO, though there's always a slight chance for a bump once it reports $0 for having more $0 balances.

I paid off my only installment (car) loan a couple of years ago. I got tired of forking out over $600 a month so I took the balance from 25% of the org. balance down to $0 in a month's time. I knew when they updated and pulled both FICOs the day before and the day after to see the impact. EQ increased by 7 and TU dropped by 5. Installment utilization is a tiny part of FICO scoring and you can certainly hit into the 800s without any loans of any kind.

Message 5 of 6
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pay all of your CC debt to $0 and leave a small 1-9% balance on 1 card (preferably a bankcard) and PIF after statement closing date.

Why are you allowing yourself to be an AU on cards with high balances?? Thats hurting you.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.