cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

from 460 to 603 in 1 year! 1 year Anniversary!

tag
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

from 460 to 603 in 1 year! 1 year Anniversary!

Hi all, 

So today marks my 1 year anniversary from deciding to rebuild my credit! EVERYTHING I've accomplished literally came from these forums, so thank you to everyone who helped me and offered me advice and answers. BTW, my scores are my ScoreWatch on here--I've had a membership for the last year, since I started. 

I wanted to share my story with you all, especially those who need inspiration, because I sure needed it a year ago; I felt like a year ago I wasn't going to make any progress and that it was going to take WAY TOO long... and well, I'm not anywhere near a good credit score, but hey, I made the 600 club at least!

When I first joined last year, I had 5 student loans in default with a collections.

I had two judgements.

7 items in collections.

Two unpaid charge-offs still reporting a balance. I couldn't even get approved for a secured capital one card.

The first week, I contacted the SL collection agency and started rehabb--that was completed in December of 2013, and new loans were picked up in January 2014 and already back-dated and reporting, while the other 5 collection TLs have been deleted. 

Those 7 items in collection? All deleted. I have zero things in collections. Five of them were medical bills: I paid them in full for deletion, as suggested here, and it worked. All gone. The other two I also paid off, and GW'ed them--also worked, deleted.

I paid off two of my judgements, while one was discharged right after, and deleted from all three.

I was able to obtain a Capital One Card with a $500 limit, another Capital one Crd with a $500 limit, and AU on another account. I've been paying on time for the last 6 months--my balances remain high, about 80% utilization--BUT I was able to pay off both completely these weekend. So I'm hoping to get another score jump from that. 

I just wanted to say even though it really does look like a long journey, and it is, it's really worth it in the end-if you don't take the first step, you'll always remain where you are. Last year, I thought I was SO in the gutter with my credit, that I didn't even know where to start and I couldn't even find the motivation to start working on it because I felt like it wasn't worth it and that it was too overwhelming.

Well, and today, I'm in the 600 club, woohoo. So If I could do it, then LITERALLY anyone can do it.. I mean, I couldn't even open a checking account!

Oh and three agos I also opened a Discover It credit card! Granted, it's secured, but still, it's a good card with all the same perks as the unsecured version!

Thanks again to each of you!!!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: from 460 to 603 in 1 year! 1 year Anniversary!

Congrats to your continued success Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 18
NWintellectual
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Congrats to your continued success Smiley Happy

+1

Starting Score (2/15/14): TU 533 (myFICO) | EQ 509 (myFICO)
Latest score (4/5/14): TU 541 (Lender) | EQ 562 (SW) | EX 576 (myFICO)
Goal Score by 9/30/14: 620+ | Goal Score by 6/30/15: 700+
-----
My wallet:
US Bank LanPass Secured $500 | US Bank HD Secured $300 | Fingerhut $200 | Local CU $1000
Message 3 of 18
mechanicaljen
Regular Contributor

How fantastic!  Yes, this forum is life-changing.

Message 4 of 18
SprintToFinish
New Contributor

Awesome!! WoOoOoT

Start: 7/25/16 EQ: 605 TU: 597 EX: 611
Current: EQ: 703 TU: 741 EX: 700

Message 5 of 18
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Sounds great.

I have a question about your student loans though, how did you get the old lines to delete after picking up the new loans? I rehabbed and I only have the new updated lines showing and closed and paid in full and my new consolidation showing. I still see my old loans with all the lates.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 6 of 18
MortgageMinded
Frequent Contributor

Congrats.... I know the feeling.

Starting Score: Jan 2014 EQ: 595 TU: 575 EX: 550
Current Score: Feb 2015 EQ: 615 TU: 650 EX: 643
Goal Score: Hoping to join the 700 Club this year!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 18
AllThingsRPossible
New Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 667
Goal Score: 650

Message 8 of 18
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

@Whitneyy wrote:

Sounds great.

I have a question about your student loans though, how did you get the old lines to delete after picking up the new loans? I rehabbed and I only have the new updated lines showing and closed and paid in full and my new consolidation showing. I still see my old loans with all the lates.

The loans that were in default were from Direct Loans/ Dept of Ed--after my loans were picked up, I disputed them on all my CRs and they were all deleted.

I was told this only works with Direct Loans and Dept of Ed TLs though--I have two other Sallie Mae loans that were NOT deleted and wont delete, but status changed to "Paid/Closed." 

Message 9 of 18
creditlost
New Contributor

awesome congrats

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.