Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

garnish? help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

garnish? help please

how will a debtor know where i work to garnish my wage?
my boyfriend moved to here from a diffrent state, he is being sue for a debt.
Please help

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: garnish? help please

If he has been sued and judgement taken against him they may garnish his wages. If he is working legally tracking him down may take a little bit but your SS# will give them the information they need to find him or they will hold it back from his tax returns.

If you are not the one being sued they can not garnish any wages from you. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 12
william23
Regular Contributor

If you co signed for the loan or whatever the debt is they might go after you. Remember collection companies have what is called accurint they can track addresses and also they check the work number.com Smiley Happy hope this helps.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

can my boyfriend find out when they being to garnish his wage before his company tells him? right now they just bring him to court for judgment.

will he receive court date before any garnishment? thanks

Message 4 of 12
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

They can not garnish his paycheck with-out court decision. Until he goes to court their is nothing you can do, unless you try to settle with the CA before you go to court. They may or may not garnish his pay after court proceedings. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 5 of 12
william23
Regular Contributor

First they need to have a judgement againts him the garnishment comes afterwards. I dont think there is a way to find out I could be wrong. Now I know there is a couple of states that don't allow garnishments.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JM-AM wrote:

If he has been sued and judgement taken against him they may garnish his wages. If he is working legally tracking him down may take a little bit but your SS# will give them the information they need to find him or they will hold it back from his tax returns.

If you are not the one being sued they can not garnish any wages from you. 

Never heard of any creditor but the government intercept tax refunds.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

how will a debtor know where i work to garnish my wage?
my boyfriend moved to here from a diffrent state, he is being sue for a debt.
Please help

Judgment creditors use several methods to determine where someone works.  One particularly effective method is to get a post-judgment information subpeona and conduct a debtor's examination.  Failure to appear or failure to honestly answer inquiries usually results in arrest.

Another effective albeit less drastic method is by pulling the debtor's credit report.  One's current employer is often listed.

Bottom line is if the judgment amount is high enough and the judgment creditor determined, they can almost always find out where someone works.

In most states the employee will not find out his wages have been garnished until he comes up short on payday. 

Message 8 of 12
william23
Regular Contributor

He will get a garnishment letter prior to the garnishment.

Message 9 of 12
william23
Regular Contributor

At least for the bank I work for that's how we roll. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.