Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

goodwill letters

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

goodwill letters

It seems like I have had very poor success with goodwill deletions with major credit card companies and some here have made it work. I am just curious as to how you pulled these off? Maybe I am doing something wrong. Suggestions would be appreciated. Trying to get my credit from good to excellent and have a few old majors holding me back.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
JBB529
New Contributor

Re: goodwill letters

What are your goodwill letters saying?

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just basically asking for a deletion as I was a longtime customer who paid in full including all lates
Pretty generic actually. What do I need to be saying/asking? Seriously. Have had no luck with letters or calls.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may depend on who you're GW'ing. Most people don't have great luck with majory CC companies, actually. The majority of GW success stories come from debt collectors or smaller OC's. 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like most of the successful ones are ones that really make it personal. The person reading it needs to be able to see themselves in that situation and say, "yeah, that could be me, this guy really deserves a break."

Its often just a matter of who sees it, rather than the actual content/format. There really does seem to be a lot of luck involved.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may give it one more crack before I just ride them out. I won't hold my breath though. In a couple more years they will be all gone anyway. I just wondered if there was any one approach that worked better than others. The personal approach may work best though. I will give it a shot.
Message 6 of 13
JBB529
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems like most of the successful ones are ones that really make it personal. The person reading it needs to be able to see themselves in that situation and say, "yeah, that could be me, this guy really deserves a break."

Its often just a matter of who sees it, rather than the actual content/format. There really does seem to be a lot of luck involved.

This. Make it as personal as you can. You never know who is going to read it and what they're going to think and you have nothing to lose. 10 "NOs" and 1 "yes" is a yes.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input. Just tried it again today with one of my former major creditors. Made out a totally unscripted letter explaining my past financial hardships and conceding a bunch of stupid embarrassing mistakes on my part that I could have done differently and also what i have done to correct the situation so it does not happen again. I hope somebody who actually cares opens it.
Message 8 of 13
JBB529
New Contributor

Good luck! I mean filing bk was incredibly embarrassing and humbling for me but I had to own it and embrace it. Admitting the reasons behind it don't hurt and what do I care if someone I don't know is judging me? I have another round of gws going out tomorrow and I tried a totally new tactic. Wish me luck.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hope it works out for you. If your idea works would you mind enlightening me on what you did? In a pm if you don't want to talk about it on the main forum? At this point I am definitely willing to swallow my pride.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.