cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got declined for a Discover IT card but received a pre-qualify letter in the mail

tag
DjVudoo
Established Member

got declined for a Discover IT card but received a pre-qualify letter in the mail

so about a week ago i applied for a Discover Card saying i had a good chance at it on CreditKarma. i got declined for having a collections on my report. then i get the letter from them stating why i was declined. then what was wierd i recieved a pre approved offer in the mail. im like odd. is this an error and they just teasing me or a bad mistake?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Goblin
Regular Contributor

Re: got declined for a Discover IT card but received a pre-qualify letter in the mail

I would be cautious about spending another HP.  Maybe you can call in and ask what it's all about.  Are you sure it was pre-approval?

Starting Score: Ex: 495 Eq: 492 Tu: 497
Current Score: Ex: 708 Eq: 716 Tu: 710

Message 2 of 10
DjVudoo
Established Member

Re: got declined for a Discover IT card but received a pre-qualify letter in the mail

yep it was a pre approval. i am not taking another HP. i been so confused by it. i wonder if i should call the number on the letter?

Message 3 of 10
Pway
Valued Contributor

That happened to me years ago.  I received a pre approval from them and when I decided to apply they denied me as well. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 10
ah32
Frequent Contributor

I would call and ask for them for a recon. Good luck!

Message 5 of 10
DjVudoo
Established Member

alrighty! i will do that. thanksss

Message 6 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Does it actually say pre approval on the letter?? My wife has been getting mailings over the last month to apply for Discover IT but it's not an actual pre approval and she was denied.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 7 of 10
DjVudoo
Established Member

okay after looking at the letter its an invintation. Smiley Sad. i spoke to them today and asked about the invitination and they say i can try to apply again but its another HP. so i declined not to do it. 

Message 8 of 10
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Ya we keep getting the same "invitation" letters.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also got several invitations in the mail and applied several times and was denied each time. I will never apply for discover again. edited The reason for my denial was because of a repossession that is on my credit report. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.