Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gotta teach the kiddies....

tag
katiecakes
Established Member

gotta teach the kiddies....

Growing up, I was never taught about financial health, credit worthiness, etc. I'm not in any way making an excuse for my credit problems, just stating a fact. Still, I wish I was told how incredibly IMPORTANT my report and my scores are to my future. That being said....most of the mistakes I have made (late teens-early 20's) could've been avoided with practicality and a lil bit of common sense. I never took financial matters seriously, being young it was basically 'what I can get away with' and instant gratification. I really accepted my bad credit score and thought it'd be a number I'd live with forever. Now I am 31 and picking up the pieces. The most amazing part of my journey to improve my credit is discovering that I have the power to change it....

My daughter is 9....the 'money talk' is goin right up there with the 'sex talk'

if I knew then what I know now.....

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: gotta teach the kiddies....

My poor kids are probably sick of hearing about it.  At a store and the lady asks if I wanted to apply for a CC.  I proceeded to tell her who backed their card, what their interest rate was and the lack of rewards for the card.  My daughter, 13 looked up at me and said, "Really dad?"

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
KnewBee
New Contributor

Re: gotta teach the kiddies....

Katiecakes +1,000,000! I am the one that blew my credit so I take responsibility but really wish I would have known too and been better educated on it as a child or young adult.

. It amazes me too how many people I know (more than half) that have no idea of the consquences of bad credit (i.e. jobs checking credit, apartments, etc.) most people know that bad credit will generally hinder you from loans, mortgages, etc. but very few people know and understand the job consequences, apartments, etc.  

I may be a conspiracy nut, but I almost think sometimes its by design. How many fewer people would accept those tempting pre-approved credit card offers if they knew that one simple act could potential leave them unemployed or homeless down the road if they have financial problems and dinged their credit? 

Now that I know I opted out of pre-approvals. Not going through this again, lol! 

Starting Scores: 9/19/2012 EQ 613 / TU 526 / EX 543
Current Scores: EQ 716 TU 724 EX 724 Goal Scores: 700
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.