Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grr new collection

tag
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

grr new collection

I had a new collection pop up yesterday with a company called I c systems. It's for an old utility for like 220. It's dofd is 2007 but nonetheless valid.

I called the original creditor and they said they would take payment so what is the best plan of action?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Oyiwaa
Regular Contributor

Re: grr new collection

Several approaches here:

1.  Get the funds ready for payment (settlement).

2.  Call the OC and ask if they will recall the debt from the CA so you can pay them directly.  If yes, ask them to contact the CA and then you pay the OC directly.

3.  If they say no, you would have to deal with the CA. In this case, dont rush to pay the CA without getting them to agree to delete.  Search the boards here - lots of info about ICS - see how amenable they are to PFD.  Call, write, etc to different people. 

4. In the worst case scenario, pay the CA in full, and send lot of GWs around

5. For both PFD offers & GWs, log on to jigsaw.com (to get names of exectuvies) and contact them.

cheers, Oyiwaa

Message 2 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Is the OC on your report?  If not, I'd send a PFD to the CA.  They are the one that is reporting.  See what they say.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 8
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

I researched the forums on here and saw some people had little to no luck asking for PFDs from IC systems.  the debt is outside the SOL.  I called them up and they said they'd verbally do a PFD but I wouldn't risk a verbal.  I asked them why they didn't contact me prior to just throwing it on there and they said they usually do. 

I opted for the BBB route....will see how it goes.  I have a month or so to burn before i need to start doing mortgage paperwork. 

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont see basis for a complaint regarding absense of prior notice, as there is no requirement that a debt collector provide any notice to the consumer prior to reporting their collection.

The requirement is that the reporting constitues an initiation of collection activity, and thus triggers the requirment to send dunning notice within 5 days thereafter.

Even if they did not follow up with timely dunning notice, that is not basis for deletion of their reporting.

As for who to pay, payment to the OC terminates the collection, and thus requires them to notify the debt collector to cease collection on the debt, and update their collection to report closed, $0 under collection.  Termination of the collection does not require the debt collector to delete, and the OC cannot "recall" credit reporting made by another.

If acceptance of deletion is requested, I would make the offer to the party authorized to agree to deletion of their reporting...the debt collector.

Message 5 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@basballguy wrote:

I researched the forums on here and saw some people had little to no luck asking for PFDs from IC systems.  the debt is outside the SOL.  I called them up and they said they'd verbally do a PFD but I wouldn't risk a verbal.  I asked them why they didn't contact me prior to just throwing it on there and they said they usually do. 

I opted for the BBB route....will see how it goes.  I have a month or so to burn before i need to start doing mortgage paperwork. 

They gave you a verbal for a PFD?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 8
erlafontaine
Valued Member

I had a medical bill with IC SYSTEMS and I paid them (before I knew about PFD) then disputed after with CRA's stating the account was PIF and they all deleted it and fairly quickly too

Starting Score: Decem 2012 - 568 (EX) ?? (TU FICO) 464 (EQ FICO) 540 (TU) 511 (CREDIT KARMA) 549 (QUIZZLE) 608 (CREDIT SESAME)
Current Score: December 2013 - 633 (EX) 585 (TU FICO) 583 (EQ FICO) 611 (TU) 591 (CREDIT KARMA) 623 (QUIZZLE) 660 (CREDIT SESAME) 660 (CREDIT.COM)
Goal Score: 700 across the board - Hoping to buy a home by March 2014..All baddies removed except for one stubborn First Premier who refuses to take it off even though it's PIF! GRRR

In my wallet: Home Depot $500 | Buckle $250 | Express $500 | Loft $500 | VS $350

Message 7 of 8
basballguy
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun they offered a verbal PFD but I didn't accept it and opted for the BBB complaint.

@Robert.  I always like your feedback on things.  Sure collections companies don't "have" to do a lot of things...just like I don't "have" to do a lot of things before I file a BBB complaint.  But i still "can" do it. 

I filed the BBB complaint, their Consumer Affairs group contacted me and gave me my written PFD.  So I paid them.  Will see how long it takes them to remove it. 

Curiously though, I got two score watches saying the collection account was added. twice and i took two score hits for it but it only shows up on my Equifax report once. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.