Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hard inquiry question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

hard inquiry question

I was curious as to how many hard inquiries in say a 6 month period could be incurred before a red flag is raised to new potential lenders. I have had 3. One for a refinance which was denied. One other was for a store card and was approved. The other was for a limit increase on a current account that was approved also. I have kinda put on the brakes because I do not want too many at once in a short period of time. I would not mind adding a second major credit card to add to the mix to help with my rebuilding and I am considering an auto loan in the near future. My intuition tells me to hold off for a bit. Thoughts??
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: hard inquiry question

@Anonymous wrote:
I was curious as to how many hard inquiries in say a 6 month period could be incurred before a red flag is raised to new potential lenders. I have had 3. One for a refinance which was denied. One other was for a store card and was approved. The other was for a limit increase on a current account that was approved also. I have kinda put on the brakes because I do not want too many at once in a short period of time. I would not mind adding a second major credit card to add to the mix to help with my rebuilding and I am considering an auto loan in the near future. My intuition tells me to hold off for a bit. Thoughts??

There is no set number every creditor is different and it depends on how thick your file is. Personally I dont show more than 4 in any 6 month period. If these are spread across the bureaus then you should not worry at all. When you are planning to app for more cards you want to find out what CR they are likely to pull so you can actually accomplish spreading them across the 3 CRAs. You are rebuliding get your 3 bankcards ASAP, the store card can come in 6 months.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I say the best rule is only use them when you need them, No set number but it also depends on how much history you have, personally I dont like more than 3 on my credit at anytime which is where i'm at now.  two should fall off in six months and at that point well see if I do anything else =)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fortunately two of my store cards are issued/administered by major banks. So I would think that those would show up as bank cards.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

And gonna chill for awhile on the apps I think.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.