cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help!

tag
starr502

help!

my credit is ruined. i was a teenage parent of an handicap child i ruined my credit TOTALLY. I couldnt never really work because i stayed at hosiptal with my daughter alot. she had by pass on her heart 3 times and she is mentally challenged. not an excuse but i had to care for her and my husband worked and took care of the bills. i have student loans, charge offs, and owed loans. example capital one said i owe 1,200 and i only had an 500.00 limit. is there someone i can show my report to for free that can assist me in repairing my credit with little funds and make monthly payments? i live in Georgia is that helps any. i have a car loan with captal one also but i need to trade it in before i get well over 100,00 miles but i owe a balance. traveling back and forth so states to see doctors. i need to make sure we have good transportaion. PLEASE HELP!  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: help!

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Pull your reports for free once per year via annualcreditreport.com.

How old are these debts?

If your SOL has not expired (varies by state), do nothing until you can save up 100%. Sending any letter can wake them up and that can increase your odds for being sued. 

100,000 miles is a relatively young car. I'd keep paying the balance on the car, or even accelerate payments just to be done with it. Last cars I purchased were in 2001 and 2003. The 2001 only has 100,000 miles and runs like-new. The 2003 doesn't, but I'm pushing 200,000 and I think I can squeeze 100,000 more if I drive locally. Certainly every car is different, but if you have a car note, then it's somewhat new and with regular maintenence, you can hit 200,000 and beyond quite easily without forking big $$$$.

Message 2 of 4
starr502

thanks

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@llecs wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

. . . (see above)

100,000 miles is a relatively young car. I'd keep paying the balance on the car, or even accelerate payments just to be done with it. Last cars I purchased were in 2001 and 2003. The 2001 only has 100,000 miles and runs like-new. The 2003 doesn't, but I'm pushing 200,000 and I think I can squeeze 100,000 more if I drive locally. Certainly every car is different, but if you have a car note, then it's somewhat new and with regular maintenence, you can hit 200,000 and beyond quite easily without forking big $$$$.

All of llecs post is important, but I wanted to highlight the above part of his post ^^^ regarding car milage.

100,000 is not a lot of miles in today's vehicles. If you take the time to maintain your car, you should be able to get to 200,000 miles pretty easily.

You  have had it tough over these years, don't make it more difficult by putting unnecessary pressure to get a newer vehicle when you can use the one you have already.

If you look at the links Ilecs put up, you can learn all about your credit and how to fix it yourself. This is one of those instances where fixing it yourself is much better than leaving it in someone else's hands to complete. It may seem like a lot, but just take one thing at a time. Read the success story's here to gain confidence. Then, when you do eventually need a new vehicle you and your husband will be prepared with a much better score AND a better understanding of your credit and finances. Good luck.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.