Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

high CC balances, large payment, and utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

high CC balances, large payment, and utilization

Got myself in a mess and need to fix it.  

Two years ago, my credit rating was high but it is now middle of the road because of CC debt.  I have high balances and high limits: 

• card 1 has a balance of $9,000 with a limit of $25,000 (36% utilization)
  • card 2 has a balance of $8,000 with a limit of $11,000 (73% utilization)

Between a tax refund and selling something, I have $6,000 to put to CC debt.  How do I allocate the money?  I am MOST concerned about my credit rating rather than the less than $100 interest difference.  So how important is utilization if both CCs are high?

Option 1:  Pay all to card 1 because I am so high on utilization that it doesn't matter and I should pick based on interest rate, which is card 1.  If so, utilization would drop to 8%.  So I am left with one really high utilization and one relatively low utilization.

Option 2:   Pay all to card 2 to get down the highest utilization.  If so, utilization on card 2 goes down to 18% but I still have card 1 at 36%.

Option 3:  Split the payment to get both below 1/3.  If so, I pay $1500 to card 1 reducing utilization to 30% and card 2 gets $4500 reducing utilization to 32%. 

I think option 2 is the best but is there a magic threshold in the 30-35% utilization range that I should aim for with Option 3?

Thank you so much.

PS -This is a cross post from the credit card forum because posters in both seem to be very helpful but with slightly unique perspectives.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: high CC balances, large payment, and utilization

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.