Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

highest achieved credit score with baddies remaining

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

highest achieved credit score with baddies remaining

I was just curious on this one and found no relevant posts. For those of you that are either in the process of rebuilding credit or have completed the journey, what is the highest fico score that you were able to achieve while still retaining old derogatories? I have a bunch of old slow pays 60 and 90 days from around 5 to 7 years ago and was just curious. I think I may be nearing the top of my bucket at 706/706/720 (TU/EQ/EX) until some of these start to drop off in a year or two unless some creditors extend some gw. My utilization is a bit high but I don't think that getting this down is going to matter much in score until some more baddies drop. I was just curious as to what some of you have been able to accomplish while still rebuilding.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: highest achieved credit score with baddies remaining

739 with BK on file at 9 years 10 months...

Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow. Sounds like that bk still made a mark even though it was only a few months from dropping off. Good job though. With that score I don't suppose it was much of an issue getting approved for credit was it?
Message 3 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow. Sounds like that bk still made a mark even though it was only a few months from dropping off. Good job though. With that score I don't suppose it was much of an issue getting approved for credit was it?

Was approved at much lower scores years ago, it was range bound for 2.5 years 709-723 didnt matter what I did, only denial I ever received was from Barclays in 2012, reapped last summer and sailed right thru. I did not go app crazy and did it all in stages, starting in 09, when that BK came off that score soared to 805.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

768 here with one CO updating monthly.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

768 with a co? Good job. You must have everything else in pretty good shape. Nevertheless good. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel I am currently in.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian - 776 with several late payments on one account from 2010-2011.  TU however, stuck at 688 (they're showing an additional late pay not on Experian).   My Experian score was 693 just one month ago, but I followed the advice here and paid all balances to "0", except for one showing balance and total util less than 4%.  My score jumped in one month to 776.  But you've got to make sure that you've got the exact dates for when each account posts.  Had been working on it for a few months, until I figured out that one of my accounts reports to bureaus on 24th of the month and everything else was reported on 30th of the month.  Those few days really threw me off until I figured it out.  

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

776. Wow. Maybe my situation is not as hopeless as I had thought. I am in the low 700's range and about 40% utilization which is not horrid but not the greatest either. Maybe paying this down (which I had planned to do anyway in the next 2 to 3 months) will make a bigger difference than I had thought.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the util down is definitely the key.  I went from mid 600's last year to 776 -- the tips on here about 0 balances on all but one with low util really do work!!  Also, NO inquiries.  Took a -15 point hit on Experian this week after first round of apps in over 3 years.  Also, if you have any store cards or cc's that will give you increases with a soft pull that really helps too.  Good luck!!

Message 9 of 23
redbeard
Frequent Contributor

I don't think slow pays that are 5-7 years old will hold you down much.  Some, yes, of course, but they diminish in impact pretty significantly at the 2 year (and I assume again at the 4 year) point.

Of course, the problem with credit scores is it is a soup recipe with everything thrown in.  It's hard to know sometimes what impact each component has, and it varies depending on the rest of things.  For instance, it seems to me that above 700, utilization plays a much bigger role then it does at 600.  So do inquiries, credit mix and pretty much everything.  

I would definitely try some good will letters.  Just ask them to delete payment history over 4 years old.  Leave the account, just delete old payment history.  I've had some success with that (not a lot and mostly by accident) and it had little to no impact on my scores, but did make the report look better Smiley Happy  This is why I don't think these older slow pays are the issue.

Dan

Just trying to get my scores to rise from the dead......

Wait.... I think I just heard a heartbeat!

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.