Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

horizon card question

tag
hoff33
New Contributor

horizon card question

So I know how bad this card can be, all the fees and bad customer service. My question is this. If I have an account with them with 2k limit and it's reporting to TU and I was able to talk them down to $4.95 a month. Is it still a bad idea to just let it sit there showing good payment history and a large credit limit? If it will hurt my score I'll call tomorrow and cancel. If it could possibly help and I don't mind paying $4.95 a month for them to report something positive for me then I'll keep it. Thoughts?

Also update from Wells Fargo dealer services. Got in touch with a high up on LinkedIn, who called on my behalf to the branch who could help me. Didn't know if they would actually do anything. This all happened Sunday night. Manger of the branch just called me, he is happy to remove my two late payments and was so nice about it!! Told him I'm bringing him a Starbucks tomorrow :-) sooooo excited! Was my only late payment in the last 2 years!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: horizon card question

@hoff33 wrote:
So I know how bad this card can be, all the fees and bad customer service. My question is this. If I have an account with them with 2k limit and it's reporting to TU and I was able to talk them down to $4.95 a month. Is it still a bad idea to just let it sit there showing good payment history and a large credit limit? If it will hurt my score I'll call tomorrow and cancel. If it could possibly help and I don't mind paying $4.95 a month for them to report something positive for me then I'll keep it. Thoughts?

Also update from Wells Fargo dealer services. Got in touch with a high up on LinkedIn, who called on my behalf to the branch who could help me. Didn't know if they would actually do anything. This all happened Sunday night. Manger of the branch just called me, he is happy to remove my two late payments and was so nice about it!! Told him I'm bringing him a Starbucks tomorrow :-) sooooo excited! Was my only late payment in the last 2 years!

The only thing you will lose is the avail credit in the utilization category, if your util is in check and can be maintained in check without its CL I would not be paying a fee every month just to have it report open with avail credit. If you close it it will remain on file up to 10 years post close to help with AAoA. Good job on the WF account Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 6
hoff33
New Contributor

My two credit cards only have a $300 limit. I keep my balances around $50 if I can. But I was thinking a 2k limit may help in this area?
Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@hoff33 wrote:
My two credit cards only have a $300 limit. I keep my balances around $50 if I can. But I was thinking a 2k limit may help in this area?

Yes it would help but only on TU, IMO 4.95/mo just to get the util benefit would not be worth it especially if it only reports to 1 CRA.  Choice is yours. I might try to get another card before canceling that one if in a position to qualify for it.

Message 4 of 6
hoff33
New Contributor

Just learning how all this works. In a short amount of time I have been able to accomplish a lot on my own. I paid a company for over a year and only gained about 5 points. In 2 months I have been able to get 7 medical collections removed, wf lates fixed, 19 student loans closed with bad history removed. My mid score is with TU.

EQ will never go above 600 (they suck haha) so I am focusing on TU and EX for my morgtgage aproval. I'll just pay the $4.95 until our mortgage is aproved and home closes.

Just gotta be smarter then the credit bureaus righ? ;-)
Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@hoff33 wrote:
Just learning how all this works. In a short amount of time I have been able to accomplish a lot on my own. I paid a company for over a year and only gained about 5 points. In 2 months I have been able to get 7 medical collections removed, wf lates fixed, 19 student loans closed with bad history removed. My mid score is with TU.

EQ will never go above 600 (they suck haha) so I am focusing on TU and EX for my morgtgage aproval. I'll just pay the $4.95 until our mortgage is aproved and home closes.

Just gotta be smarter then the credit bureaus righ? ;-)    

Great success there Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.