Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I NOT use my card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how do I NOT use my card?

I do my finances every Friday. When I started, it took me 2 hours the first couple of times.

4 months later it takes about 15 minutes. I go through 3 credit cards, 7 student loans, 2 bank accounts, and my cash on hand, every Friday.

Every Friday I know down to the penny this very simple equation: bank account balances + Cash - Credit cards = X

If x is $5k or greater and I'm not near 29% utilization, then it's okay to use the cards. If not, I need to layoff on purchases.

Basically, $5k is $0 to me and 29% of my CL is my max.

Those are my rules and I'm sticking to them. I can easily PIF 29% of my CL each month. Plus, CRAs set that as a max usage point before they ding my credit score.

I go a little deeper, myself. But that is the jist of how use my cards.
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I do my finances every Friday. When I started, it took me 2 hours the first couple of times.

4 months later it takes about 15 minutes. I go through 3 credit cards, 7 student loans, 2 bank accounts, and my cash on hand, every Friday.

Every Friday I know down to the penny this very simple equation: bank account balances + Cash - Credit cards = X

If x is $5k or greater and I'm not near 29% utilization, then it's okay to use the cards. If not, I need to layoff on purchases.

Basically, $5k is $0 to me and 29% of my CL is my max.

Those are my rules and I'm sticking to them. I can easily PIF 29% of my CL each month. Plus, CRAs set that as a max usage point before they ding my credit score.

I go a little deeper, myself. But that is the jist of how use my cards.

This is awesome ... we're not there yet, but that's where I want us to be. Thanks for sharing that

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow that is perfection, thanks for sharing, very informative
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.