cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I get dofd from original creditor?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do I get dofd from original creditor?

Hey everyone, in regards to old debt that has long since been sold to collections, does the original creditor still have archived information/records about the dofd for the debt?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: how do I get dofd from original creditor?

Impossible to say.

They may retain records, or send them to the incinerator after they sell the debt.

The real issue is what records the purchaser of the debt was passed when they acquired the debt.

If they obtained adequate records, they may be able to provide a DOFD, validate a debt, or reach a determination as to accuracy of reported information in response to a dispute without need for additional info from the OC.

With respect to obtaining and reporting the DOFD on an OC account, FCRA 623(a)(5) makes specific provision for the situation where a debt collector attempts to, but cannot obtain, a DOFD from an OC.

In those situations, they are permitted to make their best estimate of the DOFD, but cannot report a DOFD that is later than the date they obtained their collection authority.

If no records are available and the debt collector has met their responsibility of attempting to get the DOFD, they are then free to make their best guess, which will most likely be the date they received their collection authority.

Message 2 of 3
Muff
Regular Contributor

Re: how do I get dofd from original creditor?

From my experience I didn't want to speak to the collection agency so I was able to call two 6 year old accounts & get DOFD , one was t mobile & the other was a cable company. All I could provide was my name & social, I then asked for the old acct numbers incase I needed to call back. Neither allowed me to pay them but they  did give me the info I called for which was DOFD . Worth a shot

EQ 618
TU 627
EX ?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.