cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i go about wording my DV for an account where they cant tell me what i owe for.

tag
ferel

how do i go about wording my DV for an account where they cant tell me what i owe for.

i have 1 collection on my report and i want it gone. the CA is CBA (i think its collection bureau of america?) and the OC is TWC (time warner cable). i have a collections fwith DofD set at around 11/2010 and an amount around $250.

- i called the CA (before i knew better) and asked about the account but they couldnt explain what the charges are for. i called TWC and asked what the charges are for and they didnt know either. i remember turning in the equiptment and i dont not pay bills however i have had TWC at a couple different apartments over the years and had to call in and correct a bill on two occasions previously because they were overcharging me. both times i was on the phone going over my entire account history to point out their billing errors, so they have a history of getting account balances wrong. 

-that said it's not for unreturned equiptment so it either another accounting error on their part or they were billing me in a strange way and i didnt realize i had a balance when i closed the account somehow. if its the latter i will definately want proof of what the money is for and neither TWC or CBA has a record of what the money is actually for. 

-from what ive read i belive they have to tell me what the charges are for or they have to delete right? how do i approach this DV? i am relatively inexperienced with this so any help is appreciated. do i DV the OC or CA and what do i need to say in my letter so that if they cant verify what the charges are for i can proceed to get it deleted?

thanks in advance for your help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: how do i go about wording my DV for an account where they cant tell me what i owe for.

Just to clarify a few things.  When you send a DV to a CA, they do not have to respond, ever.  They just cannot continue collection activity until they do.

You can ask for an itemization of the debt in your DV letter, however, if they don't send that to you but do not continue collection activity, no violation has occured.  It is when they continue activity without providing it there would be an issue.

"You are attempting to collect this alleged debt, account #____________.  Per FDCPA 809 please validate.  Include the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the debt."

Message 2 of 7
ferel

Re: how do i go about wording my DV for an account where they cant tell me what i owe for.

ty for the input. cant i DV with the OC and ask that if they cant itemize the charges that they ask CBA to remove the collections from my report? isnt there a way to get this off my report if i cant get the charges validated (itemized so i can see if there are errors, such as charging for equiptment that was returned) by either the CA or OC? if i dont see what the charges are for they may have made an error, which as i stated in OP that they have done at least twice before, and this collections is for an error on TWC's part. 

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, DV's are only for 3rd party collections,.

You can send a direct dispute to the OC (see in my signature below) and ask them what it is for and if they can't tell you to please have the CA delete the TL,

Message 4 of 7
ferel

awesome i think that direct dispute is exactly what i need to do. thanks so much, will update when deleted.

Message 5 of 7
ferel

one more question do i send the letter to the general billing department at time warner?

Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.