Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how experian reports charge offs

tag
virgo
Established Contributor

how experian reports charge offs

I want to direct this to those who have a CO reporting on Experian. I had to sue Experian last year over their reporting so I am not surprized.

I hope I explain this the way I see it in my head. lol

Your account says; paid as agreed, OK for months Jan, Feb Mar Apr May

Then the lates ; 30/june 60/july 90/august 120/Sept

Then the CO ; CO/Oct

But mine reads ; CO/Oct CO/Nov CO/Dec and so on.

This is what is bothering me. The way your score is helped by each month that says OK, wouldn't the reverse be true in that for every month it is saying CO your score tatkes a hit. Once it states Charge Off, shouldn't that be it? It doesn't seem right to keep reporting a charge off for every subsequent month. I could be totally wrong on this, so any thoughts are appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how experian reports charge offs

Per FICO scoring, the OKs don't help. But conversely, the added COs hurt.

This is how COs normally report. You'll have lates like 30, 60, 90, etc., and eventually it'll CO. They can add lates every single month up to the point it is paid off or sold to a CA. And this isn't localized to EX, all 3 CRAs have reported this way for me.

Message 2 of 4
virgo
Established Contributor

Thanks for responding. My TU and Equifax don't do it thaty way. Maybe I should shut up.
Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Reporting of a CO has nothing to do with, and is separate from, past or continued delinquencies.

It is the reporting of an internal accounting act they chose to take.

Continued reporting of a prior charge-off in subsequent reporting is standard, and does not signify a new CO

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.