cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many credit cards should i start out with and whom with?

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

how many credit cards should i start out with and whom with?

Secured cards are pretty much my only option right now. I've never had credit before just mostly medical bills are what is giving me a low score. Last month a got a secured card from premier bank and also bank of america. At first premier bank was the only one who would give me a secured card. I was turned down by cap 1 and bofa but then I called for a review on my app and bofa approved it and cap 1 sent me a letter saying they would do it also. The one thing I don't like about cap 1 is they will never graduate the card and bofa most likely will after 12 months. Citi also sent me an app and they also claim after 18 months they will graduate the card. Should I just stick with what I have now and wait 6 months and try to go for an unsecured one with cap 1 or? ?????
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how many credit cards should i start out with and whom with?

I'd stick with what you have. I'd focus on repair and once wrapped up, then re-evaluate and add another at a later date. This will give you a higher score, a longer history, and set you up for higher CLs and unsecured cards in the future.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are working with 3 secured cards and going to have to start "gardening" for the long haul of at least 6-7 months.  We lived on the cash system for too many years, now we need a car and we cannot get one because we have no FICO score. Who knew? 

Anyway, its seems (to me) that this is all a very SLOW process but, hopefully, by this time next year we can say it will have been worth it all. 

My best to you! 

Message 3 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Im in the same boat as you. Which secured cards do you have. I don't have a Fico score either hopefully in 6 months I will have one. My goal is within the next 2week years have about 4 good cards with 2-3k limit on each. Best of luck to you also
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

We got secured cards through Capital One, USAA Bank (you have to be, or have been, in the military for USAA Bank's secured cards) and US Bank.  I will warn you upfront something that I wish I'd known from the start --- getting secured cards takes FOREVER!!!  For whatever reason, the process for issuing a secured card is the slowest thing I have ever seen.  They take forever to arrive in the mail, they take forever to post to the Credit Bureaus, and then, when you pay them -- the posting of your payments can take up to 3 days.  The ONLY thing quick is that, within seconds, an inquiry will be posted on your credit reports with Equifax, Experian and Transunion. 

But -- you gotta do what you gotta do! 

I wish you the best. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

i have never had to have a secured card....

What is the benefit compared to an unsecured?

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.