cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much balance to keep on credit cards?

tag
mackandblues
Established Member

how much balance to keep on credit cards?

FICO score around 600, 2 citibank credit cards - one with limit of $2,700 and current balance of $2,400 and one with limit of $2,000 and current balance of $1,000.  So what balance should I keep on the cards to optimize my credit score as far as these credit cards go? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how much balance to keep on credit cards?

One completely paid off prior to statement cut the other paid down to 1-9% of its CL prior to stmt cut day.

Message 2 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

One completely paid off prior to statement cut the other paid down to 1-9% of its CL prior to stmt cut day.

^^  I love this answer!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 10
alvon123
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

+1

Message 4 of 10
mackandblues
Established Member

Thanks for the help!

Message 5 of 10
SuburbanGuy80
Established Member

Keep your overall utilization under 10%, basically on all of your credit cards to achieve maximum credit score increase, use the cards monthly, keeping a small balance on one of your cards and the others at zero helps of course. Because i only have two cards, i keep a balance on one card one month...pay off the other card before statement cuts, then switch it and do the same for the other card. I pretty much use my two CC's as my debit card. Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Certainly, keeping your cards at their best FICO scoring levels each and every month is great, if you have that kind of peristance.

However, for those of us who dont have that persistance, keeping the balance at a level such that you, when ready to actually app for new credit, have the funds to get the accounts to their best scoring levels a couple of months before applying will get you to the same point.

My caveat, however, would be that having very high util over a period of time might result in the secondary issue of the creditor reassessing your CL.

If they become ansy, they may reduce your CL as a means to reduce their potential risk.

I would keep it under 50%, even if you have the funds to reduce util to under 10% when needed.

Message 7 of 10
jimbro

Hi, is it better to keep a small balance on one card or pay off all cards before the statement date?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

btw.. i have 3 cards

Message 8 of 10
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

I agree 100 % but i only let the1 card report 1% of the CL to get my Max score. Sometimes i let the 1 card report only a few dollars.

My 2 cents worth

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@jimbro wrote:

Hi, is it better to keep a small balance on one card or pay off all cards before the statement date?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

btw.. i have 3 cards

Let 2 of your cards report a 0 baalnce and the last one at 9% or below.  FICO will ding you for all cards reporting a balance and for all cards reporting a 0 balance.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.