cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much income needed for high credit limit?

tag
cazz
Regular Contributor

how much income needed for high credit limit?

Hello! I want to know how do i get a credit limit of 3k plus I make over 40,000 a year and i have only been able to get limits up to $500 does this have to do with credit score only? if my score is 675 or higher can i get a higher limit starting out?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: how much income needed for high credit limit?

garden them for 6 months while working on CLI's then app for the next round of higher limit cards

Message 2 of 10
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@cazz wrote:

Hello! I want to know how do i get a credit limit of 3k plus I make over 40,000 a year and i have only been able to get limits up to $500 does this have to do with credit score only? if my score is 675 or higher can i get a higher limit starting out?

Scores, income, overall profile will all play a big factor

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 10
Bankrupt2019
Established Contributor

It's certianly a mix of factors. I have $105k income and only have a total of $10,000 in credit limits.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I make about $45K and all my cards (except AMEX) started at $500  They are slowly moving up tho as my scores and payment history with each card shows I can handle more.   

Message 5 of 10
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

No one can guarantee a certain CL...of course as many others have stated it is a combo of whole credit,income pic..

We get CLi to build up limits,,

Need more info...

what are your stats( scores,any credit report baddies,# inquires? what is the 500 card you have and how long have you had it?

Message 6 of 10
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Income alone is definitely not the thing holding you back here (i.e., you can get limits higher than $3k while making less than $40k a year).

Message 7 of 10
willwar14
Valued Contributor

I make 35k a year, and my highest CL is $25k

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife makes 24k a year but has 89k in credit. But she also has excellent credit. Has never ever been late. She don't spend what she doesn't have but they love giving her cards and CLI's
Message 9 of 10
dragnldy
Regular Contributor

Try your bank.  If you have a good history with them, they usually are willing to increase you more with a lower APR than a major.  Have better chances for a CLI, too.  I have a way better interest rate with mine through the bank AND an almost ten-fold CL than I do on my other CC.

Ficos
3/7/08 TU-646 EQ-640 EX-650
3/17/09 TU-678 EQ 666
3/20/12 TU- 760 EQ 785
Util almost 0 and baddies all gone! now to gardening!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.