Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how much of a jump can i expect?

tag
bhenken08
Valued Member

how much of a jump can i expect?

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new car and i need to get my score up to 680 my FAKO is 650 my auto enhanced was about 20 points higher last time i had it checked.

my credit utilization is right around 55% will dropping it to around 10% get me over the hump?

Starting Score: 547
Current Score: 620
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: how much of a jump can i expect?

It will help, although no one will be able to give you an answer of how much. YMMV on that one Id say.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 2 of 5
bhenken08
Valued Member

also, is it a bad idea to drop some of my credit cards to a zero balance and keep one with a balance for my ratio?

Starting Score: 547
Current Score: 620
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

No, that's actually the ideal approach. Optimal utilization for FICO is an overall utilization of between 1-9%, with only one of your cards showing a balance (and the balance on that card keeping that particular card's utilization between 1-9%.) For example, if your overall limit of all your cards was 10K, but one of your cards only had a 500 limit, you wouldn't want to put $300 on that card, even though your overall util would be well below 9%.

Hope that helps.

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@bhenken08 wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a new car and i need to get my score up to 680 my FAKO is 650 my auto enhanced was about 20 points higher last time i had it checked.

my credit utilization is right around 55% will dropping it to around 10% get me over the hump?

You cannot base what your Fico score is going to be using a Fako, these are 2 completely different scoring systems.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.