cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to approach this medical bill in collections?

tag
remethy
New Contributor

how to approach this medical bill in collections?

I have a slightly unusual situation involving a medical bill in collections.  A few years ago I received care at a hospital facility.  I was uninsured and the cost of my care was paid for up front, directly to the hospital, by a generous family member.  Now, in looking at my credit report, I find a collection item for $880 related to this hospital stay.  My position is that I don't owe this money because 1) all costs were paid in full when care was given and I was not told of any other fees or costs and 2) the financial arrangement was between the hospital and my family member, not between the hospital and myself. 

What is the best way to go about this?  Do I ask the collection agency for validation of the debt?  Or do I dispute it to the credit bureaus?  Or both? 

Starting Score: EQ 539
Current Score: EQ 648, TU 617, EXP 623
Goal Score: 700 by 2/2014

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: how to approach this medical bill in collections?

DV the collection agency and also call the hospital to see what happened that there was an outstanding balance.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@remethy wrote:

I have a slightly unusual situation involving a medical bill in collections.  A few years ago I received care at a hospital facility.  I was uninsured and the cost of my care was paid for up front, directly to the hospital, by a generous family member.  Now, in looking at my credit report, I find a collection item for $880 related to this hospital stay.  My position is that I don't owe this money because 1) all costs were paid in full when care was given and I was not told of any other fees or costs and 2) the financial arrangement was between the hospital and my family member, not between the hospital and myself. 

What is the best way to go about this?  Do I ask the collection agency for validation of the debt?  Or do I dispute it to the credit bureaus?  Or both? 

If you signed yourself into the hospital and are 18 or over, you become the responsible party, no matter who pays the bills.

It is very possible that it is a bill that was not directly billed by the hospital.  Physicans normally have their own billing department.

I do agree to contact the hospital and see what you can find out. 

Message 3 of 12
remethy
New Contributor

I will call the hospital and try to figure out what happened.  Considering they wouldn't even take me without payment up front, and then more bills were paid as we went along, I just don't understand how other charges can pop up later.

so no point in disputing it then? : ( 

Message 4 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There are so many different areas that are charged when you go to the hospital it would be easy for somethng to have been missed. 

Message 5 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

So many different departments charge seperately.  You have the hospital bill, the doctor bill, lab, x-ray, etc.  It is quite easy for one to slip by.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 12
remethy
New Contributor

I looked again and found good news - according to my experian report, the item is due to drop off in Feb 2014.  That will be the end of it, right?

Message 7 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Just because they are excluded from your CR due to age, the debt will exist forever, until paid.  The CA or creditor can attempt to collect forever.  Once your states SOL for suing is over, they can't sue but, again, can attempt to collect forever.

Message 8 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Just an FYI, once a debt goes past the CRTP and SOL, it often winds up with bottom feeders.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 12
gummiebear
New Contributor

I know how it is.  You get all these little bills from everywhere.  (Maybe not so little sometimes).  I would call and talk to them and see if you can get the amount you have to pay lowered.  My spouse went to a hospital that was out of his insurance's network but he didn't know. They charged so much!  He was able to get it lowered and eventually paid it off.  If they have put it on your credit reports ask them if they will delete it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.