Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to dispute this late payment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to dispute this late payment

I am now in the underwriting process for an fha loan.  I just found out that in May of this year one of my accounts was reported as 30 days late.  It was due on the 15th of the month, but I didnt make it to the office until the 30th of the month whih is only 15 days after the due date and still within the month that it was due.  I called the company which is Badcock Home Furniture and was told that because it was 30 days from the last payment which was made in April it was considered 30 days late.  I always thought a 30 day late payment was calculated from the due date and not when the last payment was made.  Is there a way to dispute this successfully as being erroneously reported as 30 days late?  Also for an fha loan would 1 30 day late disqualify us for the loan and should I give my mortgage broker a heads up on this since I do think they will pull before we are ready to close, which is looking like the middle of august.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how to dispute this late payment

Don't dispute. Get on the phone with the furniture company and ask for a GW via phone. If you dispute, and were late other times of which weren't reported, then you could have other lates appear. Plus they may take 30 days to complete the investigation. Time may be important to you. Finally, some underwriters don't like to see account in dispute and could reject the loan.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your quick response.  I talked to them a couple of weeks ago, but was told that since it was 30 days from our previous payment it is considered 30 days late.  Is there a guideline or criteria from the fcra or other agency that defines what can legally be reported as a 30 day late?  I thought it has to be late 30 days from the due date but the creditor is saying otherwise and frankly her method doesnt make sense because if I were to pay the previous month's bill early, say the 5th of the month and then didnt pay the next month's bill until the 15th of the month, would the payment be on time or 30 days late?  I guess what I am needing is some advice on what to say to them to show them that they are reporting inaccurately. 
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Some CCs mark lates if you paid past the due date. Most won't until you are 30 days past the due date, but, IMO, the clock starts from the prev. statement's date. Once 30 days passed from the statement date, letting you know $$$ is due, then IMO, they can mark a late. Officially, I don't know what the FCRA says about that. I suspect nothing.

I'd call them, with a friendly smile, and humble yourself in admitting to being late. But then politely quiz them on their policy on being late vs. being reported late and listen to what they have to say. They might tell you something that contradicts what they are reporting and then you got them. If that's the case, then kindly point out what they are reporting and ask them to correct it. On the flip side, maybe they'll say that you were 30 days past the statement date and past due, thus resulting in the late and that this is their policy. I'd then apologize again and ask for help in removing the 30 day late.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.