Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to raise my score in a short time

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

how to raise my score in a short time

I am trying to raise my score by about 30 points in a short time, though that may not be possible. I am trying to qualify for an FHA loan as soon as possible and need to get to 580. My fico shows my mid score to be about 582, however, equifax is listing it at 548 so who knows where it actually is. Here is what I am dealing with on my credit report and would like advice from other members with more experience at this point.. I have a medical collection company that has numerous accounts on my credit report and I have the money to pay them, but the problem is it hurts my score as it makes the accounts new. I have not tried a PFD with this company as they play hard ball. Advise on this would be so appreciated. I have 2 charge offs from 3+ years ago, that I hesitate to pay because it kills my score. All other collections are at zero and are marked paid, allthough this does not help my score and a lender told me not to pay the rest while I tried to qualify. I have very little debt: $4200 in student loans and $4500 in a car loan that is my sons. I have no credit cards, store cards-nothing. How is the best way to try to raise my score in the short term? Thank you for any ideas, they are appreciated. I have a 90 day late on my student loans from about a year ago (I thought they were still in deferment) but has been current for 9-11 months. I also have a 30 day late from my last mortgage that was paid off last June. I have sent goodwill letters, but have heard nothing from either company.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bunneysvg
Established Member

Re: how to raise my score in a short time

I have just started my journey here so please double check me but you need to get a credit card in your name and use it and pay it on time every month. From what I have been learning on this board, the responsible use of a cc helps your score dramatically. If you fear not being able to get approved, go for a secured one. Just make sure to pay on time.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 3
eric19k
Established Contributor

Re: how to raise my score in a short time

+1.
Better if yoy get 2 CC. One reporting 1-9% and another one 0%.
For your medical collections google HIPPA process.
Start Goodwilling lates. Especially 90 days.
Good Luck

TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.