Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to tell if CA is reporting as a factoring company

tag
hopefull700
Valued Member

how to tell if CA is reporting as a factoring company

i have myfico CR and i am trying to verify how a CA is reporting?  I have an old report that Midland and LVNV was reporting as LOAN TYPE "factoring COmpany".  I thought this was disputed almost 2 years ago but I find they are still on my CR but the CR i have now does not show if its still reporting as factoring company.  Am i correct that a CA cannot report this way?

For some reason i cannot get the annual credit report so I will purchase one if you can tell me which CR is the best to purchase to get these details.  If i call the CRA will they tell me over the phone?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: how to tell if CA is reporting as a factoring company

A CA reporting as a factoring agent is not a violation.  A loophole yes, but not a violation.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Re: how to tell if CA is reporting as a factoring company

Do be aware, however, that you can make a report to CFPB related to any unfair practice, regardless of whether it is techinically legal according to your understanding of the law. I just had Asset Acceptance removed based on a CFPB report I made, which specifically referenced what I believe is a DofFD violation and reporting lates as a CA, but also referred to terms, reporting as a factoring company, and any other reporting they are engaged in which falsely portrays the debt as new when it is over ten years old. The CFPB not only reviews the responsiveness of the OC or CA to your complaint, it keeps a database of problems consumers are having, shares that information with the FTC, and can use this to propose changes in the law in the future, if a practice is harming consumers regularly. 

A company can possibly technically call themselves a "factoring company" if they do some factoring, even if  they were actually a JDB on *your* debt. Nevertheless, this is one piece of an overall puzzle which ultimately mischaracterizes very old debt &, therefore, grossly misstates the current risk you pose to a credit provider. It's unscrupulous. If you can lump it with other reporting concerns, it's worth making a complaint so that the real world effect of this practice is continually on the radar of the watchdog agencies. 

Regarding just getting the information as to what they are reporting, I would try to call the CRA first. They may just tell you over the phone. If not, you can move on from there.

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.