Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i need insight with medical debt

tag
branstanka

i need insight with medical debt

what a long story i have here.

In October 2010 I lost my job and therefore lost my insurance benefits (coincidentally my policy was up for renewal). In December of 2010 I had a grand mal seizure that sent me to the hospital for a week.

Well, I have absolutely no recollection of being in the hospital until 2 days before I was discharged. I was very very doped up with a drug called Ativan (a type of narcotic). The hospital fed me this stuff daily. It put me to sleep and gave me hallucinations. This all is what I am told from friends visiting me in the hospital. I had seizures while in the hospital- so more Ativan. I was GONE. So when I finally woke up, I was in the hospital nearly a week later. Had all these tests performed on me. I was finally discharged on the seventh day. It was all a rush and was told zero information about billing besides- "you do not qualify for social assistance". Well, I was a college student at the time and was unemployed living by myself. I was told by naieve family members that medical debt does not affect your credit score. So I went with it...the bills came pouring in through the mail. The grand total being a little over $43k. WOW. Some 45 days later, it was sent to collections. Being unemployed, I couldn't even make a single payment to that thing. Having been told I did not qualify for social assistance...I was devastated. I LATER found out that I did in fact qualify...but it was too late.

Well here I am two years later and 28 years old and trying to better my life. My boyfriend and I are talking of marriage and buying a house-so I pulled my credit report myself. I recently paid off my two credit cards and car. Well I am about to be unemployed again due to a sudden need to move states. 

I do not know what to do guys. Help?! I feel like I was overcharged at the hospital. I never received an itemized bill. The fact that i was doped up the whole time and unaware of what tests were being administered distresses me. Of course it's two years later, I was young and unlearned. I have since been diagnosed with epilepsy from the same hospital that I went to in the first place. I am also part of a social assistance program that pays for my medical expenses now.

What gives? Is it too late? I know that the collections agency bought my debt from the hospital. The state of Texas has a 4 year statute of limitations. I am moving, is tolling going to be an issue?I just need steps or suggestions people.

Also my apologies for the ridiculously long post. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
electra
Established Contributor

Re: i need insight with medical debt

Sent you a private message.  

Good luck. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.