Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i think i messed up-fingerhut

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think i messed up-fingerhut

so i finally got my score to a 659 (from 489) and was preapproved for fingerhut and i think i made a mistake, the stuff on their site is double the retail price! Stimulater said my score will drop about 22pts with this approval, so im almost certain it wasnt worth that. should i keep it or cancel it? it would probably be 8pt drop for the inquiry but its better than 22!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: i think i messed up-fingerhut

I wouldn't close it. First, you already took the HP and approval hit, and closing it now doesn't do anything for you.  Fingerhut is actually a good little rebuilder on your CR.  They will report your credit line for years without you ever using it, so that helps utilzation.  And if you do decide to buy a fuzzy tiger bedspread, they usually will give you a hefty CL increase, even further helping utilization.  

Message 2 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

After using the HP, I'd be more on the side of keeping it also. Give it a bit of time, then you can revisit the situation again later.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 7
Pway
Valued Contributor

I agree with the others posters here.  My account currently sits at 2350 and growing.  I don't use as much any longer but I use maybe once or twice out the year.  It is a great help with my util as some months my account balances are high from useage.

You have taken the HP for it so keep it opened.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 7
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@Pway wrote:

I agree with the others posters here.  My account currently sits at 2350 and growing.  I don't use as much any longer but I use maybe once or twice out the year.  It is a great help with my util as some months my account balances are high from useage.

You have taken the HP for it so keep it opened.  

Agreed.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, agree with keeping it.

There is no rule that you have to refurnish your house through them, though.

I've had an account for ... good grief, lots of years.  I think I've bought maybe five things from them in that time, and almost always from the "clearance" page and with a free shipping promotion lol

I now have a huge credit limit with them, which I haven't touched in about a year.  The only down side, if you can call it that, is that I get tons of letters and catalogs from them trying to get me to buy something... it all goes into the recycle bin.

Several years ago when I was in rebuilding mode myself, it was useful.  As earlier posters have said, they are a pretty solid tool for that - they do pretty good credit line increases if you use them for something once in a while, and while their prices certainly are above average for most areas, you can undercut that using promotional coupons, or shopping on the "clearance" page.  You don't have to spend hundreds with them to make them happy, either - my first CLI back then was from $300 to $900 (so, 300%) after I bought a set of cookie sheets for about $35.  I could've probably bought similar bakeware at my local Walmart for $21.47 or something, but the boost in available credit and the related decrease in overall utilization, and its positive effect on my scores, was more than worth thelittle extra cash paid to Fingerhut.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone Smiley Happy I'm thinking I'm going to buy a mixer and then pay it off
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.